Hello To All

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Mixed Bang, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Mixed Bang

Mixed Bang New Member

I have been a casual target shooter for many years and, upon retirement, decided to try reloading .38 Special cartridges. I purchased a Lee 1000 progressive press which I still cannot get to feed and seat primers properly.After de-capping 1300 cases on a single-stage press(subsequent remedial purchase) and priming by hand (angst omitted), I discovered this forum and have been lurking for some time.
    I now appreciate how little I know and how much I have to learn. That I have thus far avoided calamity speaks to my good luck. I have purchased and read the Hornady and Lyman manuals (I already owned the Lee "advertisement"). I now understand headspace, roll and taper crimp, rate of burn and pressure, among other things. I have purchased a Dillon 550B press and Hornady dies for .45 acp and 9mm. I await the delivery of an RCBS balance scale, Hodgdon HP38 powder and Winchester primers. I have several thousand cases inspected, cleaned and polished.
    I wanted to express my gratitude for the experience and knowledge shared on this forum and to say that if I post any questions it will be only after failing to find or understand the answer in the manuals.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Welcome to the forum!
  3. mikld

mikld Active Member

Welcome to the Wild Wonderful World of Reloading! Usually I don't recommend a progressive press to start loading on because it's very important to learn the theories (whys) of each step. You need to know what happens every time you pull the handle and why. I'd say put your progressive away and concentrate on each individual step (and die adjustments) reloading with your single stage.

P.S. It may seem more rewarding to just process/reload 100 or 200 at a time, 1300 is a LOT!
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, glad to have you along for the ride ! When it comes to press adjustments, you've gotta have the basics set up properly first, then everything else should come around. If you're still experiencing problems, strip the machine down, inspect all components and then reassemble step by step. Though not a fan of the Reds, it should and will feed primers properly given the right amount of patience and finess. Most any press can be a little sensitive about primer feeding from time to time, detailed inspection and usually minor cleaning/adjustment is all that is needed. Good luck to you and have fun with that 550 ! ( pics.... ;) )
  5. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

Love your avatar. I can think of at least 6-7 really wild ideas about it. I will relay none of them. Welcome to the asylum.
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    YO BRO,WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF WHAT THE HE.. WAS I THINKING.RELOADING FOR SOME OF US IS AS ADDICTING AS ALCOHOL,IT SEEMS LIKE THE MORE YOU LEARN THE MORE YOU BURN,I HAVE A PERPETUAL NECK STRAIN FROM LOOKING DOWN AT GROUND WHEN GOING TO RANGE AND PICKING UP BRASS.I PICKED UP 60 ROUNDS OF ONCE FIRED 45/70 AT THE RANGE ONE DAY.I HAD NO 45/70,NOW I HAVE TWO.I HAVE A SMALL SHOP IN THE BACK OF MY HOME AND GO BALLISTIC IF MAMA SON TOUCHES ANYTHING.I RELOAD ON RAINEY DAYS AND NIGHTS ALSO IN THE DEAD OF WINTER,I THINK ITS GREAT.I AGREE WITH MIKLD ON THE SINGLE STAGE IN RELOADING.I HAVE HAD PROGRESSIVES AND FINALLY GOT RID OF THEM ALL,I MAY SIT OUT IN THE SHOP AND DEPRIME FOR DAYS AND THEN CASE AND PRIMER POCKETS,I CAN STOP WHENEVER AND PUT IN A BIN MARKED WHAT WAS DONE AND DO SOMETHING ELSE.CARBIDE DIES ARE THE BEST. SORRY ILL SHUT UP,YOU ENJOY AND KEEP IN TOUCH OLD SEMPERFI