Help a poor UK 10/22 owner

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by richardh, May 13, 2003.

1. richardh

richardh New Member

In our world here we have weeks of paperwork to get a licence to buy a shotgun or rimfire, stacks of security, club membership and no good gun shops.

I need help and advice, I've read all of your threads and have a brand spanking new 10/22T sitting next to me, I also have a stack of 25 & 50 round mags (legal here) and two silencers to suit the factory threaded barrel.

I've ordered a cheap tune up kit from ebay with bolt buffer, ext mag release, bolt release, trigger kit etc and have a big Tasco scope waiting to bolt on.

My question is this what else do I need to source to get tack driving accuracy from the thing?

Is the factory hammered .920 barrel enough or do I need to invest in one of these green mountain barrels?

Is the VQ receiver worth $500?

What grouping should I expect from the rifle as it stands ?

What ammunition should I use?

The reason for all of the questions is anything I need to order will take several weeks to arrive and several more to scrape through customs.

Any help would be very welcome

Many thanks

Richard
  2. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

Welcome to TFF Richard!

While I am not your guy on the 10/22's...they will be along soon. They are around somewhere...but let me caution you. Make sure they have not been in the Pumphouse/Saloon immediately prior to giving you advice. If you smell Bob's Best...RUN!!

Anyway...Zigzag or one of the other 10/22 nut will be along to help you out. I have a couple of the things but am too cheap to customize them too much. I prefer my Anschutzes for driving tacks. Strike matches at 100 yards...

Anyway...again...welcome to TFF!!
  3. z537z

z537z New Member

on a related note

How much do those anschuntzes (sp?) go for, anyhow?

I've looked around at some of the sportier ones (walnut stocked bolt action repeaters vs. the single shot olympic grade aluminum adjustable everything crazy .22's) but couldn't find a price.

Thanks

And rich I'd say your 10/22 STOCK could group a dime in 50 yards if you're good enough on a benchrest (I've seen my friend do it) so any mods can only get it closer to that point of perfection, but again I'm no expert, they'll be here shortly.

_z
  4. Boomatic

Boomatic New Member

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the plural of Anschutz either.

I have a 1710 which I paid around $800 for and a Model 54 that I traded around for...value about $700 or so?

The model 64 is a very affordable (as target guns go) item at around $500. Nice shooters...very basic.
  5. z537z

z537z New Member

Nice, thanks

I first fell in love with the possibility after going here
    http://pub92.ezboard.com/fparallaxsmodernfirearmsandhuntingforumsfrm47.showMessage?topicID=181.topic
    and seeing that 64.

Although a nice H&R M12 might be damn nice too. Check this grouping out!

http://www.gun-tests.com/newspics/pdfs/12-4-Surplus.pdf

Ah well. All this after I just wrecked my motorcycle, in the middle of college. Dream on Z.

On that note, send your donations to the Z gun, tuition and motorcycle fund, to...

*sigh* :(

_z
  6. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Hey!...

Welcome richardh from the U.K.!!!,...I have a couple of 10/22's but they're not set up for accuracy...they're just WMD waiting to happen...stick around and join in the other forums until the 10/22 folk get here...here's one of my 10/22's...

Attached Files:

• 1022.jpg
      1022.jpg
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Can't help on your specific question but did want to welcome you to the TFF.
  8. z537z

z537z New Member

lol

Man SG you must be the most feared 4 year old girl on the block in your would-be MG42 armed would-be Jeep of death, eh?

hehe :D

_z
  9. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

OK, let's get to your rifle.

Some of the 'drop-in' trigger kits are OK, some are not so OK. You dont indicate which you bought. Ron Power's stuff is good, as is Volquartsen but it's pricey. You do not need to buy the entire trigger housing unit. A very suitable trigger can be obtained with a precision trigger, hammer and sear and by doing some spring replacement. The extended mag release and bolt release make life easier.

Use the factory heavy barrel for now. If you want to upgrade later, think carbon-fiber wrapped. If you really want to maximize accuracy once you've decided on a barrel you might consider permanently affixing the barrel to the receiver. You'd also have to drill an access hole in the rear of the receiver in line with the bore for cleaning.

The VQ receiver is only worth $500 to those with absolutely nothing else to do with $500.

.22 rifles are finicky things. Once you get yours built and tuned, and find ammunition it likes, you should get better than 1 MOA.
  10. richardh

richardh New Member

Wow so much help and so quickly!

The best help I've had so far in the UK has been "throw away all the Ruger parts and fit VQ throughout" which costs well over $1000 on top of $650 for the rifle!

It would seem from your responses that 1MOA is acheivable without too much extra money

I'd be very happy with this

Now I've found this place I'm more confident in playing with the thing.

I'll shoot some groups with it at the weekend and we'll go from there

This is the action kit I've bought http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3607541626&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:UK:6

Have I wasted my money?

Thanks for the help guys

Rich
  11. z537z

z537z New Member

looks good to me

For 20 bucks you can't go wrong anyhow. Geez I'd put 20 down just for a more convenient mag release alone! That is if I had a 10/22...:p

From what I've heard and experienced, probably the best 3 things you can do are bed the action/float the barrel, improve the trigger pull (ligher, shorter, crisper), and get a nice barrel. Sounds like you've already got a nice factory barrel on there, and I'd be sure to test it out before you go buying any aftermarkets.

Your trigger should be nice after that kit gets put in, and follow Doc's advice as well and you'll be made in the shade.

As far as floating, I'm not sure the deal with the bull barrels, yours may already be pretty good as far as a not-too-snug fit in the stock. Volq makes a bedding kit for 22 bucks
    http://www.volquartsen.com/product.asp?pid=75
    if you're interested in doing this, it can't hurt.

As far as ammo, even amongst gun models there's some variation as to what they like. As they say, buy some assorted ammo online somwhere, like
    http://www.22ammo.com/22ammo.html
    and see what it likes. I've found that a good bargain is Remington Target, all the guns I've put it through seem to like it pretty well. Just watch out for adjusting your scope lower as this stuff has a lower velocity than a lot of bulk ammo. It will show up at 50 yards.

Good luck

_z
  12. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Hello and Welcome richardh to The Firearms Forum.

You're off to a great start with your 10-22T, and the info supplied here.

I started with a used 10-22 and the experienced help here to build mine.

Alot of "preference" goes into building your own.

With all the options available, I chose the Green Mountain 18" Heavy Barrel, Power Custom Titanium trigger, hammer, sear, spring kit, buffer, extended mag release, free floating in a Boyds Blaster stock with a Tasco 6x24x44TG scope.

The only thing I have not done yet is glass bed the action.
  13. Bill

Bill New Member

10/22T

Richard,
    I have a completely stock 10/22T with hammer forged stainless barrel. Outa the box it shoots between .5 inch to .8 inch groups at 50yds with ordinary ammo. I will do more ammo testing but so far CCI Blazers and Winchester HV seem to group nicely.
    My only complaint about the factory gun is the trigger pull, crisp, but way too heavy. Most smith's will improve that for less than $50. This may be my only improvement as sub- inch groups at 50 yds serves my needs. I'm very satisfied with my target model.
    Bill
  14. richardh

richardh New Member

Right guys I've made a start, I've stripped the thing down, degunked everything - deburred the trigger components (until my pack of new sears and springs turn up) added QD swivels a sling, harris bipod and a Tasco 8-32x50 World Class Plus.

I've got 1000 rounds of CCI green tag (which is all I can buy at one go under our laws)

I'll shoot some groups tomorrow and report back, theres not a lot more I can do until the US postal service gets its act together and gets my other goodies through customs.

Thanks for all your help so far

Rich