HELP/ADVICE AND INPUT...PLEASE

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Tieken, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Tieken

Tieken New Member

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum and am looking for some guidance. I am going to purchase a .45 cal and was initially tossing around the idea of hk, glock, sig 220 ect....Then I went to a small gun store and came across a salesman who told me that although those are nice firearms, he is a 1911 fanatic. We spent quite a bit of time talking and he has pretty redirected my focus on the 1911's. Looking for something as a home defense as well as going to the range for fun. I'm far from a rich man but I do believe in investing more up front in a purchase so I don't turn around and want to "upgrade" to something better in about 6 months. I guess what I hoping you all might be able to help me with is a couple of things: 1) Is the 1911 the best way to go for an all around firearm? (I kinda assume so and that's why I'm posting here). 2) Id really some assistance on selection. I have done some internet searching and have found some amazing guns (most of which are probably out of my reach) but I tossing around a couple and here is the short list...if you will. Kimber, Sig Sauer, Springfield armory loaded, or a para ordnance, but am willing to consider others that I may have overlooked. Id like to purchase a very reliable handgun that I can "grow" into and quality if of great importance to me. Thanks in advance for any help or information you may be able to share with me.
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Springfield Armory is my favorite flavor but many are getting very good with quality. If you get a Loaded or TRP especially, you won't ever look back, they're cadillacs.

and you have opened the worm can, brace yourself for lots of other opinions!
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Tieken, Welcome to the forum

i'm in Australia and working on getting all our guns back ( most of them back so far ) but looking forward to the day when i can have my .45 1911's back

i have a great .40 , but certainly miss my 1911's
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

And welcome to the forum from the UK, Tieken.

I'm from the UK, and like Jack, we've had our hand guns taken away by the liberal PC brigade. The only semi-auto rifles we can have are .22, and if Scotland they are talking about even more stringent laws...restricting us to three guns. Do everything you can to keep it from happening in the US.

As aa1911 says, there is lots of strong opinion on which way to go. If you scan the threads you'll find several full and energetic discussions. But one thing you will notice, even though the opinions are strong, everyone remains friends. No flaming here.

I would suggest that if you can, go to a range and try out several different guns, to see which fits you best. An expensive, top of the range gun may have all the best features, but if it doesn't fit you, you won't enjoy it, and won't use it. Take your time and find for yourself what works for you.

Others will weigh in about calibers and 1911 vs Glock vs other. Enjoy the discussion.

And again, welcome to the forum.
  5. Airdale

Airdale Member

6. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have at least a half dozen of 1911's, maybe more. Though I love my Kimbers, I see the Ruger 1911SR as very comparable, and when i got mine, it was less expensive.
  7. 01brian

01brian New Member

Welcome to the Forum!
  8. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Keep in mind price - you can look at anything from 300 - thousands for a 1911. I recommend you figure your budget for what you can afford then find one in that price range. My 1911 is a Citadel (Rock Island Armory) pistol. It has never even had a fail to fire with the 500 rounds that have been through it. I didn't get mine new - I traded an SKS rifle for it. RIA, Citadel (which is also RIA) and American Tactical are out of the Philippines and as near as I can tell ALL standard 1911 parts fit them. You can get these for ~400 or a little less new (I see an American Tactical at Buds Gun Shop on-line at 389.00). The bottom line - if you have 400-500 to spend on one you won't regret it and there are a number of new ones out there in that price range.
  9. GunnyGene

GunnyGene New Member

"Reliable" is a somewhat fuzzy term, since it's dependent on many external factors. The original 1911's and the 1911A1's were designed to be reliable after a mud bath. Specifically the tolerances were loose enough to allow the gun to function when full of mud, sand, whatever. They rattled if you shook them and they were built like tanks.

The modern takeoff's on those early guns usually have much tighter tolerances, sometimes will have slide cracking issues, and other problems because of modern machining methods (stress risers from sharp corners, etc. ) and therefore would not be considered reliable by a Marine or soldier because of that. Colt recently found out about that in the new 1911's they sold to the Marine Corps recently.

So you need to refine what you mean regarding reliability.
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

At the risk of incurring the wrath of 1911 fans, I don't think a 1911 is the best choice for someone who sounds like a relative newbie.

Maybe I am wrong about Tieken's level of experience, but for a defense auto pistol I think a less experienced person would be better with a pistol having a DA capability. For most of us, bringing up a 1911 and releasing the safety is as natural as breathing, but for many folks a DA trigger pull will be easier and more natural; the 1911 gives us options in regard to safe carry and storage, but options can often simply confuse the less experienced.

Jim
  11. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

If you are intent on a 1911 I would get the SR 1911 from Ruger. Very good quality in an affordable package. If you like the platform, then save for several more expensive options.
  12. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Jim is actually right with this. Many of us guys were trained in the military with the 1911 so we don't even really think about it. I was trained in the Navy with it - stood petty officer of the watch with it on the quarterdeck of ships. The 1911 to me is like an extension of my hand.
  13. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw Member

My first handgun was a 1911 45cal, which I have had for less than a year. It wasn't hard to learn the gun at all, I did my fair share of reading and asking questions.

The only real danger is since then I have purchased two 1911's in 22 cal. one in 9MM and another 45.

I have not had any problems with these guns, especially due to operator error. You are on the right track by asking questions and learning. When you get yours, you will be ready.
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

1) The 1911 is a good all around firearm. The case could be made that they're on the heavy side, but I don't think it's too much an issue as long as you have a good holster and a strong belt.

2) I own a Springfield Armory Loaded with some stuff done to it. I really like the gun and it's been perfectly reliable. I had a Rock Island Armory GI .45 before this Springfield and the RIA's are pretty good too, they're just made from investment cast instead of forged steel. Mine ran fine. I only paid $500 new for it too.

With regard to Jim's post, yeah, the single-action operation and thumb safety might not be favorable to a beginner. Not sure what your level of experience is. I think it's something that can be easily overcome with a little practice & training though.

If you're worried about which brands, I would stick to something with a good reputation for quality control like Colt, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, Ruger. I know people who have owned a few 1911s made by those companies so I can speak to their quality. I would definitely ask some of the more experienced 1911 people to chime in about which brands are good.

As far as the Springfield Armory Loaded, yes it's a great 1911 and you get a lot of the premium features for a good price. I paid $850 new for mine. The Mil-Spec is practically the same gun without the extras for about $200 less. If you ask me, I think the only extras that really make a lot of difference between the two are the Novak low-profile combat sights and the beavertail grip safety (which the Loaded comes with).

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  15. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

Shoot as many as you can get the feel of as many as you can and pick the one that fits you the best and you like.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012