HELP/ADVICE AND INPUT...PLEASE

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Tieken, Nov 9, 2012.

1. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

I think this is the best advice for the OP. The 1911 platform is not the best for a rookie. It pains me to say it, since I am a 1911 guy,but this is smart advice from Jim. i agree, get a plasti-gun double cocking crunchenticker, then graduate to the next level.
  2. Maine04657

Maine04657 New Member

I lean the other way on this. The 1911 is fine for a first weapon as long as one is willing to learn the weapon and train to use it. This way you know how to how to use have trained to use it and then the glocks and such will come easy as pie. My grandfather started me on his 1911 when I was around 12. I can work a 1911 in my sleep behind my back with one hand. For me it is all on the brain I do not even think I just do. When I tech others I have to become very aware of what I am doing to be able to tell them. The 1911 is not hard it simply requires the correct education.
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Make sure you find magazines that work well in it too. I would use Metalform.
  4. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

As a dedicated 1911 owner, I wish I had kept my Sig P220! It was a great gun, and is soon to be replaced. I particularly like the DA/SA platform, and the takedown is much simpler than the 1911. If you can afford the p220, get it! Later, move sideways to the 1911 either Commander size or GI.
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
    Which gun is best is only an.....opinion.
    LOTS of platforms and options out there.
    Get what fits......YOU.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

If you want a .45, you should also look at the CZ-97.
  7. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier New Member

Millions of young Americans were introduced to handguns in the military. That pistol was the Colt 1911 .45 ACP. Buy a 1911 and learn to use it.
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Colt, S&W, Springfield Armory, Ruger, Remington, and even RIA (though they don't come with some of the bells and whistles the others do), you can't go wrong with any of these IMHO.

If you decide you absolutely positively must have a plastic frame gun, my choice is the S&W M&P. I hate Glocks and didn't care for the SA XD40 I owned. The M&P felt real good in my hand and was accurate. You can get one with night sights for about the same price as an entry level 1911. Still, I traded mine in on a 1911. A 100 year old design that hasn't been beat yet.

Welcome to TFF. Stick around, we're habit forming.
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Ummm whacha mean RIA doesn't come with bells and whistles. The tactical version does anyway.

Ambi safety
    Full length guide rod
    Novak styled sights
    Polished feed ramp.
    Throated barrel
    Beavertail safety
    Beveled mag well
    Lowered ejection port

I changed the grips and the bumper mag for a flush fit mag.

[​IMG]
  10. Boogieman

Boogieman Member

I have 2 Colts a1991a1 &a O.M. one of them is ALWAYS with me. Yes they require a little more care in handling than the DA wonders But if someone can't learn to handle a SA auto I don't believe they would be safe with anything that shoots. Buy what you like & learn to use it . Wherever you live there is someone close who shoots a 1911 & most are ready to help you learn. Wilson Combat & others have training DVDs for sale & some free on the web If you buy what you like You'll shoot it more making you safer& a better shot. Win Win.
  11. Big Chevy

Big Chevy Member

Welcome to TFF tieken. I have to agree with pickenup, I like others love 1911's like my Springfield 1911 A1 loaded. I also really like my Springfield XDM platform its all about what fits you.
  12. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

In my opinion the 1911 is the best all around gun. It was my first handgun 45 years ago. During that time I have tried just about every weapon out there and it just keeps coming back to the 1911.

My personal choice now is the Ruger SR1911, for practice I use a Colt Government Model .22 Cal LR, same size, close to the same heft.

In addition to my 2 SR 1911's I have 3 Springfield Armory 1911's, all .45's, all stainless, the Mil-Spec, a "Loaded Stainless", and a "Long Slide" 6 inch bull barrel.

I also own a 2nd practice gun wich is a Sig-Sauer 1911-22, nice gun, but I favor the Colt .22.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012