Help and opinions on 303 Brit PP 60

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by rick2gun, Dec 23, 2010.

1. rick2gun

rick2gun New Member

I am familiar with Prvi Partizan ammo and its headstamps. My newer stuff in Brit 303 says made in Serbia and the stamp is PPU. And says in English Script .303 British.
    A box was recently given to me and the headstamp reads PP, VII, and 60. The VII means 170 plus grains of a standard Brit military load and the 60 is likely the year of production.
    My question to anyone who may know; Is this ammo corrosive? I have read in the past that some PP ammo was loaded with nitro/ cordite/ guncotton mixture that is corrosive even though the primers may not be. The guy that gave me this stuff has an Enfield #4 Mk 1 that he asked me to look at that I found to be quite rusty in the barrel. I spent about four hours getting the crap out of the barrel and action. A few days later he gave me the gun and about 50 rounds of this ammo. I don.t know if this was the ammo that caused the barrel issue but I it would a likely assumption.
    My own 1948 (PF) LE #4 Mk 1 is in beautiful shape and I don’t want to run this stuff down range with out having a high comfort level with it.
    Any help will be appreciated.
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I shoot corrosive ammo all the time, I simply clean my rifles after use. The bores are as clean and sharp as ever.:)
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

just another opinion for what it's worth it wasn't the ammo that caused the build up and rust it was poor maintenance. yes the ammo is corrosive but the 303 has been around forever, and a lot of ammo has been sent down range and as long as you do your part and properly maintain your weapon corrosive ammo becomes a non-issue.