Help, Can't find very specific ammo!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by mesinge2, Jan 23, 2010.

1. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

I have been looking like crazy for Magtech 38G 125gr. 38 Special Short LRN (ammo http://www.a1ammo.com/products/magtech-ammunition/38g/).

I have been looking every where for it at Cabela's, Midway, every local shop. It has been at least 6 months since I have seen any and then I only bought 3 boxes (big mistake).

I really want this ammo. My mother is a retired NYPD officer and her hand was shot, specifically her ring finger. A great doctor reattached the finger. I often go shooting with her and my girlfriend, but regular 38 specials hurt her hand now. These light recoil loads are great for her as even wadcutters are too much now. With out these rounds she is stuck shooting her 22 and she is getting bored with it.

I would greatly appreciate any help. Midway is my usual source but it has been on backorder for ever (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=511908).
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. gazzmann

gazzmann New Member

Reloading may be your only option.
    I load some very mild loads for the range.
    Save your brass. It's not that difficult. Looks hard, but becomes an addiction after a while. lol.
    Don't know what you pay for a box of that special ammo, but after a while the equipment will pay for itself.
    Good luck, be safe.
    John
  3. mesinge2

mesinge2 Member

Handloads are really not an option right now. She is still a little jumpy since the incident and she doesn't trust reloads. She had too many cop friends that screwed up the reload and blew their guns up.

Right now is not the time to try and convince her that they are safe if properly done.

It happened about a year ago but the recovery are been long, the cast only came off in August, and her hand is still stiff.

Yet, she still loves going shooting. I am so happy that she is not terrified of guns after this.

Would a cowboy load (such as Magtech cowboy loads) be lighter than a wadcutter?

_
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Maybe going to a .357 that is heavier to absorb recoil better and use .38's in it would be another alternative?
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,7636.html

What Magtech is selling as "38 Special Short" is just plain old 38 Short Colt.

Quick history lesson. They invented the 38 Colt. Few years later they lengthened the case so they could put more powder in it and make it more powerful. They called the new round "38 Long Colt", and, of course, if there is a Long Colt, then the other one must be "38 Short Colt", so the name was changed. In 1899, S&W took the Long Colt, lengthened the case so they could put more powder in it and make it more powerful, and called it the "38 S&W Special".

So, 38 Short Colt to 38 Special is like 22 Short to 22 Long Rifle. Just a shorter, less powerful, but otherwise identical cartridge.

Lots of places sell it, but they all seem to be out of it, except Buffalo Arms.
  6. Texxut

Texxut Member

Alpo, can this 38 short colt cartridge be used in a 38 special or 357 mag revolver?
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am pretty sure that it can. In Alpo's last post he wrote...So, 38 Short Colt to 38 Special is like 22 Short to 22 Long Rifle. Just a shorter, less powerful, but otherwise identical cartridge.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Buy some books, learn the process and just dont tell her they are reloads. You could probably try some cowboy action loads as they are generally loaded waaay down for clanging steel targets but reloading probably is your best choice.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes, you can. They also still make 38 long colt. It also can be used in any 38 special or 357 magnum pistol.

http://www.black-hills.com/cowboy.htm
  10. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

all is good as has been said------

but do not buy " 38 S&W " by mistake

they are about the same length as a 38 short colt
    but the case is a bit fatter and will not chamber in a 38 spl cylinder
  11. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Some 110 gr lightly loaded should do the trick. Reloads would definitely be the answer. Even some old fashion wc's over bulleye might also do the trick..
  12. FUJINAMI

FUJINAMI New Member

13. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

Youch! The hand is a bad place to be shot because so many nerves expand out to the digits from the wrist. My uncle had a 1/2" drill run through his hand at work, and he experienced the same kind of stiffness for quite some time.
    If you can find black powder loads in that caliber, they will have the mildest recoil. Just be sure to clean the gun thoroughly after each shooting session. Check some of the places that sell cowboy action equipment, and I bet you can find your caliber loaded with black powder.

Re-loading black powder hand gun cartridges is simple as well. Press a new primer into the case, dip the case into a pile of FFF black powder and fill it to the rim, and press in the new bullet. No weighing or measuring involved at all. The bullet will make a crunching sound while being pressed in the case, and that is perfectly normal and ok.

I have a friend who had similiar concerns to your mom's about the safety of re-loaded smokeless cartridges. Because of that, he shoots nothing but black powder in all of his new revolvers and rifles. He likes the low recoil and really enjoys how easy it is to reload. It is absolutely impossible to over charge a black powder reload when reloading it into cartridges designed for smokeless powder, because smokeless cartridges are designed to withstand many times more pressure than black powder generates. I understand your mother's concerns, but keep this in mind for someday in the future. Especially if recoil remains an issue later on down the road.

I hope her hand gets to feeling better soon. I can't imagine how bad that had to have hurt. Gives me the shivers.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

.38 spec. cowboy action loads... They are the smokeless equivalent to black powder loads. No recoil and hardly any noise... they are designed to just clang a steel target. they arent meant to be MOA accurate nor are they loaded with special bullets. They are what I would consider a .38 caliber equivalent to a .22 long rifle cartridge...