HELP! Case length for 45 SWC

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by rocklinskier, Jan 1, 2010.

1. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Hey guys,

A bit confused here. Of course, the HSM bullets that I bought have no data that I can find.

Have two books, speer,Lyman, and have cross referenced a couple of online sources. Here's where it gets goofy.

200g lead SWC. I can find at least two different case lengths listed. most popular being 1.190. then another says, 1.235

Which is it?? If i push down to 1.190, the case mouth sits slightly above the shoulder of the bullet. At 1.235, the mouth (case) is just below, so that a small rim of the bullet is exposed out of the case. The second seems more correct to me, however, this is my first experience with SWC's so any help please?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

rocklinskier, if you are talking CASE length, that wouldn't change no matter what bullet you are seating. If you are talking overall length, then it would change. What .45 are you loading?

I am going to assume (which is not always good) that you are talking .45ACP. My books show three different Overall Lengths but the MAXIMUM O.A.L on the .45ACP is 1.275 and doesn't change.

My books show the following O.A.Ls for 200 grain Lead SWC bullets (ACP) 1.161, 1.200 and 1.235.

I would go with the 1.235 based on the last line of your post, but that is just what I would do.
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Your second choice is correct.

Here's what has always worked for me with .45 ACP loads: Seat your SWC bullets so that about 1/16" of the shoulder is outside the brass case.

In no way should the shoulder be below the mouth of the case.
  4. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I would start with the 1.235 and try working it down SLOWLY if they wont feed properly.The rim SHOULD not be below the case mouth.............
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Gmoody: Sorry, yes I was a bit unclear. Loading .45ACP, and was referring to COL, not case length.

To all:

Thanks for input. Yes, I have decided (affirmed by you folks) that the correct COL is 1.235.

Now, since a lot of the data I had (three of four sources) are based on 1.190 length, with loads of 4.2-5.0 grains, I'm betting that my loads are gonna be too light.

The one set of data with the COL at 1.235 shows powder at 4.9 - 6.0

Ho hum...Gonna have to see if they go BANG or poof.....Will make sure to take a 'pushrod' with me to the range. I'm wondering if it will even cycle the slide. Built three levels of rounds, 4.2, 4.4, 4.6 grains respectively with Bullseye powder. Hopefully these will at least cylce the slide and push the round to the target. If not, I'll get to try out my new bullet puller!:rolleyes:

I'm new to reloading, but sure am enjoying it so far! Fun stuff...

P.S. Hand cycled a few round (without fireing) and they seem to feed thru the mag without issue, but it does look like that's about max length for the SWC's