Help dating a S&W revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wildrose_68, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm still curious about that 3 1/2. Whether it's a Highway Patrolman or a pre-27.
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I didn't know sooooo, I got the book out (Standard Catalog of S & W 3rd). It says that the Pre Model 28 Highway Patrol man first hit the market on April 15, 1954. So with this pistol's birthday in the '50/51 range just a Pre Model 27 as you thought.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Actually, now that my brain has started working again, I think Highway Patrolmen only came in 4 and 6 inch. So that 3 1/2 couldn't be one.

You know you're just flying along, doing wonderful, and then do something stupid like that.

Oh well.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

A registered .357 Magnum is well before the use of model numbers; factory registration (yes, that marking is correct) was discontinued in 1939, while model numbering began in 1957. 3 1/2 inch was one of the standard barrel lengths

That Registered Magnum would be worth around $6000-7000. The "B" is not part of the serial number.

The later gun was made 1950-51 and would bring around $1200-1300.

I see nothing to indicate that either pistol was used by a law enforcement agency; factory letters would tell whether either gun was shipped to an agency, but not if it was purchased by an agency from a dealer, as some were.

Jim
  5. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hey Alpo. About that brain kicking in thing, did I ever tell you about the old fellow that couldn't flush seat his wad cutters?:confused:
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That does kinda sound familiar. :D
  7. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

Naw, don't like the cheap stuff. :bleh:
    Took better picture of the 858. Not sure of the mark in the right corner. Haven't seen that one before.

Attached Files:

8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I thought that was a US military acceptance mark - the ordnance bomb - stamped sideways, but on closer look, I don't believe it is.

[​IMG]
  9. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

Yeah, I know. As I was describing the mark to my husband he thought the same thing. Got the gun back out and looked and nope. Different completely.
  10. wildrose_68

wildrose_68 New Member

Ordering Standard Catalog of S & W 3rd.
    The guns belong to a friend of ours who died recently. He had been collecting for years. Looking to sell most for his wife.
    My husband has me doing the research on them so I learn. So I apprieciate you guys understanding.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Factories use stamps of various marks - letters, numbers, symbols or some combination thereof - to indicate some inspection or acceptance. They never mean anything outside the factory and those on older guns seldom mean anything to anyone today. Moreovver, a given stamp might mean different things or be assigned to different people at different times

Some become the object of speculation (and sometimes nonsense) on the part of collectors; most of us just accept that they will never be deciphered.

Jim