1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help European Musket rifle and hand gun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ETbaby187, Jul 20, 2011.

1. ETbaby187

ETbaby187 New Member

Hi I am new to the Musket community and I just wanted to thank anyone whom can help me ahead of time. I have aquired a couple of priceless weapons that have been passed down from my ancestors. I was hoping some of you guys can help me identify what year was it manufactured and hopefully whom created the guns. I have included pictures below and I am going to give you full detail of what i saw.
    Below is a hand pistol given to my grandmother in france it was passed down from my great great uncle for protection WWII It has lettering on it that look like
    E
    L G

and then on the other side it states
    ( Crown image)
    AF
    The detail on this gun is amazing art wise. The handle does not feel like wood it seems to be too hard to be wood but i could be wrong. I will create a respond below for the rifle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. ETbaby187

ETbaby187 New Member

My grandmother purchased this back in 1954 in france I have details in the photos of what I saw on the rifle but it was very difficult to see. this rifle means alot to her as it may have been a rifle used for the french revolution. here are the pictures and details below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Little pocket pistol of quality, handle is probably of ebony wood, with folding trigger. Thumb piece of hammer is missing. It is possibly a turn-off type in which the barrel screws off to load. Dates 1830s-60s, ELG indicates mfg in Belgium.

The musket is of Napoleonic period, ca. 1800 plus or minus. None of the markings are clear enough to ID. Length measurements of barrel and lockplate and photos of the muzzle area and barrel bands would help with positive ID and approx date.
  4. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

Your pistol was made in Belgium, and a crown over AF was the trademark of Auguste Francotte of Liege, one of the better Belgian makers. The grip may be ebony and the barrel unscrews for loading. The broken hammer spur is unfortunate.

The ELG is a Liege proofmark.

http://www.littlegun.be/arme belge/artisans identifies francotte/a francotte gb.htm
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The little pistol is obviously of good quality, but those do not have high value and that gun is damaged. The barrel apparently does screw off for reloading as shown by the fact that it is not fully tightened at present. I would guess a date of around 1830-1840, and estimate the retail value at around $300.

Jim