Help Find Bartlett Gunsmiths of 1800's

Discussion in 'TFF Members Test Forum' started by azmampap, Aug 22, 2010.

  1. azmampap

    azmampap New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Need information on The Bartlett Brothers Gunsmith/Gunmakers out of Binghamton New York in the 1800's. I have a double barrel rifle by this company. And need info/ pricing on this rifle. Or where to find this info. out.
    Thank For Any Help!
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. w. Tomosky

    w. Tomosky New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    The Bartlett family in Binghamton, so well known in county, village
    and city history for a period of nearly three-quarters of a century, were
    the descendants of Captain Isaac and Col. Loring Bartlett, natives of
    Salisbury, Conn. In 1813, according to well authenticated Tioga
    county records, Capt. Bartlett and his family settled in Owego. The
    pioneer himself was a blacksmith and wagon maker, while his sons
    Joseph and Robert S. were gunsmiths. The children in the family
    were Eliza, Joseph, Alvin, Robert S., Abigail, Isaac L., Jerusha, Will-
    iam B. and Charles Bartlett, not all of whom, however, settled in
    Binghamton, nor did all of them come with the pioneer to Owego.
    The representatives of Col. Loring Bartlett's family in Broome county
    were Dorcas, George and Phebe Bartlett, all of whom lived and died
    in this city. Loring Bartlett never lived in this state. Isaac and Lor-



    GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT. 105

    ing Bartlett were sons of Sylvanus Bartlett, and grandsons of Sylvaniis
    Bartlett, sr. , the latter a patriot of the Revolution. The family in
    America was descended from Robert Bartlett, who came to Plymouth
    on the ship Ann in 16"23, and was of Puritan stock. Some of the de-
    scendants of Robert afterward settled in Salisbury, Conn., and from
    them sprung the branch of the family that came into southern New
    York.

    In 1829 Capt. Isaac Bartlett and his family removed from Owego to
    Binghamton, and with the best interests and history of the latter muni-
    cipality his sons and their children were afterward identified. Joseph
    and Robert S. were gunsmiths and started a shop on the north side of
    Court street, between the site of the present Sisson building and the
    corner next east. Their property was taken by the State in the con-
    struction of the canal, after which they purchased land on the west side
    of Franklin street (now Washington), where for a period of about fifteen
    years they carried on an extensive gun making business, employing at
    times as many as twenty- five workmen. Isaac L. Bartlett was prob-
    ably associated with his older brothers in gun making, and in the same
    building he also made plows. Soon after 1850 the manufacture of guns
    by machinery in the large cities seriously interfered with the success
    of the Bartlett factory in this village, therefore the business was closed
    and the building was sold to Mr. Tichenor. In the meantime, while
    their business was yielding good results, Joseph and Robert S. Bartlett
    purchased a large farm east of the village, and placed it in charge of
    their father. After selling out in the village Joseph Bartlett moved to
    the farm and afterward lived there nearly his whole life time. Joseph
    Bartlett was for many years closely identified with Broome county his-
    tory, and was, withal, one of the most prominent men in this locality.
    He filled various public offices, the most important of which, perhaps,
    was that of sheriff, from 184i to 1847. He was at one time superin-
    tendent of this division of the Chenango canal, and in many other ways
    associated with the history of this region. His wife was Deborah Caf-
    ferty, of an old and highly respected family in Union. They raised to
    maturity a large and interesting family of children, several of whom in
    later years occupied positions of distinction. in business, professional
    and political life.

    These children were William Alvin, the noted divine of Chicago and
    Washington, but now living in New York; Joseph J., who became a
    major-general in the Union army during the war of 18G1-65, and was



    106 BINGHAMTON, ITS SETTLEMENT,

    afterward appointed U. S. minister to Norway and Sweden; Frederick,
    who was a sea captain many years and who with his vessel was lost and
    never afterward heard of; Robert, Frank, L. Chester, a major on his
    brother's military staff, once sheriff of Broome county and also mem-
    ber of assembly; Benjamin, Henry, Edward, Julia, and one other
    child who died young.

    Robert S. Bartlett lived in Binghamton from 1829 to the time of
    his death, July 33, 18S1. He is remembered as a man of quiet and
    conservative habits, whose chief aim in life was the comfort of his
    family and the welfare of the village and city. He was connected
    with the village government in various capacities, such as collector,
    highway commissioner, school district trustee and assessor. He was
    deputy sheriff under his brother and also deputy under the latter in
    the canal superintendency. He was appointed railway mail agent
    in 1853 and served in that capacity until about five years before his
    death. His wife was Dorcas M., daughter of Col. Loring Bartlett.
    Their children were Eliza, who married Oilman L. Sessions; John S.,
    of Buffalo, for more than twenty years northwestern passenger agent of
    the Erie railroad ; James H. Bartlett, deputy postmaster at Bingham-
    ton; George, now of Binghamton but formerly freight agent of the
    Northern Central railroad at Elmira; and Anna Bartlett, who married
    Oliver W. Sears and now lives in the old homestead on Court street.

    Isaac L. Bartlett, for many years one of our most prominent business
    men, was born in Salisbury, Conn., June 20, 1813. He came with his
    father's family to Binghamton in 1829, and soon associated with his
    brother in their gun factory. In their Franklin street shop he added a
    plow making branch to the business, which he carried on several years.
    He afterward started a yard on the canal bank and dealt extensively in
    hard and soft lumber. In 1864 the firm of Blanchard & Bartlett was
    formed, and purchased the old Collier mill on the corner of Hawley
    street and the canal. Later on the firm purchased the Kenyon & New-
    ton mill, which stood on the north bank of the Susquehanna, below the
    Rockbottom dam. This plant was destroyed by fire, after which the
    firm operated the Collier mill, doing a general lumber manufacturing
    business, until 1867, when the Evans warehouse property on the east
    side of the "basin " was purchased, rebuilt and made into a large sash,
    blind and door factory and planing mill. The buildings were subse-
    quently enlarged until the factory became one of the largest in south-
    ern New York. John W. Rowlingson came into the firm about 1873,




    ISAAC L. BARTLETT.



    GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT. 107

    but two years later, through business misfortunes, the entire property
    passed into the hands of Bartlett Bros. (Arthur S. & Charles J. Bart-
    lett.) The junior partner died in September, 1886, upon which the
    firm name was changed to Bartlett & Co., as since known in business
    circles. Isaac L. Bartlett, the founder in fact of this leading industry,
    died December 20, 1888, after almost sixty years of active business life
    and of residence in Binghamton. He was much respected in social and
    business circles, and is remembered especially for his exemplary habits
    and correct life. His wife, with whom he married in May, 1846, was
    Emily Banks of Bridgeport, Conn. Their children were Arthur S. ,
    now senior partner in the firm of Bartlett & Co. ; Laura B. , who mar-
    ried Herbert E. Smith; Isaac L., jr., now dead; Charles J., now dead;
    and Emily B., who became the wife of Sidney T. Clark.

Share This Page