Help for old eyes on a blued revolver or two.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by jstgsn, Oct 19, 2011.

1. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm getting old. It gets more and more apparent every year, perhaps every month. Last year I thought about the year before. (That is probalby no way to start a story, but it's how it happened.) You see last year as I was walking to the deer stand with my Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk in .44 magnum with a 6 3/4" barrell (tip to the frame) I was thinking about the year before. Same farm, same time of year, shotgun season in Delaware where you can carry a handgun instead of a shotgu, and I wanted to kill a deer with this gun. I had bought it from a retired police officer who knew he was dieing of cancer and wanted a fellow officer who enjoyed shooting to have the gun. There was nothing special about it, other than being a wonderful handgun. It was old and worn, and he had never been able to harvest a deer with it. I told him I would do it for him. In any event, on that first trip I also had a new cam corder and wanted to get some outdoor pictures or video. I had some health issues of my own, mini stokes, diabetes, blood pressure, and on and on, along with trying to get over a car accident which wrecked my grand cherokee and my back and neck. So now with four herniated discs and more aches and pains than a group of old ladies, I was determined to get out hunting. So I'm taking my time, walking my fat butt out to a stand and here comes thousands of snow geese flying over the nearby farm house. Had to take some video. Camera in hand, video running, it was beautiful, the cool crisp air, the noise of a thousand snows, the pounding of hooves... hmmmm? hooves? So I turn around while standing 50 yards from the stand, and find three big does standing there looking at me looking at them. They were 15 yards behind me in the open field. I didn't even have the intelligence to turn the camera toward them, instead I have 3 minutes of geese, and 20 seconds of corn field dirt as the camera fell from my hands. I drew the Ruger as the deer realized I was not really a goose photographer, but a slow witted hunter, and as deer ran in every direction I fired two warning shots. Not this year I thought. So I took the stand closest to the parking area. No cam corder this time. I was ready. The night was cool and clear, the field was cut corn, and it was perfect. Thirty minutes later a shot rang out in the next farm. Twenty minutes later, ten deer ran into the middle of the field, and then began to run toward me. I prepared the Ruger. One big doe came directly accross in front of the stand and I cocked the gun, and as she was not going to stop, I grunted using my own voice. Kinda the same noise when I tie my shoes. She stopped. It worked! I went to aim and couldn't see the front sight of the gun. I have shot guns like this all my life. As a police officer I fired the colt .38 4", then the S&W 4" and 2" and then semi autos and rifles and shotguns and I couldn't see the front sight on this deer! I saw the muzzle blast, I saw the dirt fly up over the deers back, and I saw the deer stop to laugh at me. The next day I went out the same time of night and tried in my back yard on my little range. Nope, in the evening, or in the shade, can't see the sights.
    So this year I got a wonderful little Ruger Bear Cat. What a jewel. Same problem. Unless I'm in the bright sunlight, can't see the front blade.
    So today. That's right, this story won't be done tonight. I bought FolkArt Arcylic Pain in Metallic Pearl White and put several coates on the front blades of both guns. I got out in the farm light and tried a couple shots of CBs in the Bear Cat and the front sight seemed to light right up. So I'm going to try it for the next few weeks. I bought a single person chair blind that is pretty cool, although it ain't for water fowl. I'm going to sit it up out back and try both the .44 and .22 in different light conditions and see how they work.
    The story will continue.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

FolkArt Arcylic Pain in Metallic Pearl White

ouch, but hey glad its helping with the front sight !

i know tritium is hard for you to get but theres a new one out for watch makers thats legal , dunno if its as good , but its about $25 Us for a few drops really ..

i still got tritium
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. aryfrosty

aryfrosty New Member

Try www.glow-on.com The stuff they have lights right up.
    My eyes are so bad now that I have either hi-viz or tritium sights on all my short guns. Also Tru-Glo makes a set with the light tubes backed by tritium called TFO sights that are nice.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  5. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I've placed an order from glow-on. Should have it in plenty of time for deer season.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

I too am growing old. Even though my Ruger LCR has a Crimson Trace Laser didn't want to rely on that. The black on black on black with the marginal sights was a problem. So a little fingernail polish helped a lot. One coat of white covered by the gaudiest orange I could find.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Jstgsn, I'm still laughing at your story. You have a gift my friend. :)

You are taking the right course with new sights but I personally prefer the Tru Glo. The company got it right with the GLO part cause the sure do glow. But as in Todds picture, nail polish or sight paint will work.

I look forward to the rest of the story and expect a happy ending for you and an honor for the fellow officer. Make him proud.

Good luck. :)
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

I added some Hi-Ziz sights on my Ruger .357 as I also am blind as a bat. They work pretty good. On alot of my other guns I used the bright paint on the front site. Also I bought a low poewr set of reading glasses like about a 1.00 and use those. My normal readers are 2.50-2.75. Now I can see the front and rear sight which helps alot. The target is a bit blurry but you cant have everything.

Attached Files:

9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

GC i see your all set ...

tactical bacon and spotted dick , yeah that'll get ya into some strife right there ..
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Yeah! Spotted Dick!:eek: I went to my local grocery chain and saw this can of spotted dick. No one could tell me what it was so I had to send my daughter to go buy it as I dont have the nads.. I like to gather these weird things to put on top of my gun safe. I think spotted dick is some kind of a pudding that the limeys like.:confused: looks cool on my safe though..
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

All the stuff in the back ground makes a GREAT photo!!
  12. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Im at the stage where bifocals are needed unless I like everything from the tip of my nose to infinity a big blur...Needless to say, bifocals aient the best thing for seeing the sights on a handgun.. ..Id sometimes look like a large bobblehead trying to get the picture right...

I compromise now when hunting or target shooting with some Walmart readers..Ive found that 2.25 mag gets most everything in focus except at distance...More importantly, my sights are in very good focus...leaving the target slightly blurry at 25 - 50 yards...Its supposed to be blurry anyway...Your eyes cannot focus on the front and rear sight and the target at the same time...

You may want to try some at Wallyworld, or get some shooters glasses from your OD...Ive a pair of shooting glasses that were made by my optomotrist who is also a shooter...Upper lens are for shooting and the very small lower section is for reading and writing stuff..:D
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  13. aryfrosty

aryfrosty New Member

Duke, I understand your quandary. I have passed bi-focals by and am now at the TRI-focal stage. I look like Robocop when I fire on th eline with my head bobbing up and doqn and side to side trying to find that one spot where the front sight's in focus and I can still see the target. I just hope that when i get my new eyes in glory there will still be a range around.
  14. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

So my wife said; "Oh! you're supposed to keep you eyes open when you shoot????"

Tactical Bacon!! Spotted dick??? An Obama "0 dollar bill"!!!!
    FOTFLMAOTISMS (falling on the floor laughing my a$$ off till I $hit myself)

I ran to Wally world and got some 1.50 readers. Wholly crap, there is a front sight.

You guys are the greatest.

Can't wait to get my glow stuff. Have a few other things I might put it on, although the wife already said no to one of them.