Help grade my English homework! (no, seriously...)

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by aa1911, Nov 29, 2012.

1. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Yes, it's what the title says; the reason it goes on here is that I wanted to share this with you folks and get your opinions before I submit the final draft.

The assignment is to write an 'Argument and Persuasion' Essay so I wrote it on gun rights and the 2A being restored to true 2A.

I'm not looking for corrections on grammar, but moreso a check on the facts and figures that are included. There is a works cited at the end for your quick reference to the reviewed material.

soooooo...... without further ado....
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

:eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. agedhunter

agedhunter Member

A very well written argument.
    I now this is not what you wanted but I did catch 1 typo in the bibliography.

Kates and Mauser. “Waould Banning Firearms Reduce Murder and Suicide?” Harvard Journal
    of Law & Public Policy Vol. 30 (May 2007): 650-693. Print.
  4. K75RT

K75RT Member

Seriously, you did your homework! Well written and well thought out; but you are preaching to the choir... Now will the lib/progressive read and/or understand it?
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

hey, thanks! Didn't notice that, much appreciated :)

I need to go through again and do more proofreading and tighten up some of the sentence structure also before I actually turn it in.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

OK, don't get mad at me. I see something that could be a typo: First paragraph, it reads: " in the Supreme Court Court". Is the word Court supposed to be in there twice? If I am reading it wrong I apologize, I am just trying to carefully read all of it. So far your message is strong and you are a great writer. Bravo.

I will keep reading it.
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

BRAVOI think you should send that into a gun magazine eventually. That is a powerful message. Good for you.
  8. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I suggest you use a spell checker. It will catch double words and some punctuation. Other than a few items, well done.
  9. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Thanks fellas, any feedback is good to hear, I want to make this thing air tight. I missed the double 'court' also, much appreciated!

I'm not sayin' don't point out the grammar errors, just was saying not to focus on just that. I do appreciate you guys catching them, it does help!
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  10. btown

btown Member

Well written and very persuasive. As others have mentioned , a lot of us are familiar with some of the studies cited. You have tied a lot of information together neatly. Fun to read. Perhaps you will let us know what grade you receive.
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

will do!

Had to restrain myself with the thesis (bold highlighted):

"Restoring the right to keep and bear arms, as outlined in the U.S. Constitution, is essential to ensure our freedom and security from criminals, our government, and foreign invaders alike."

as gov't and criminals is a bit redundant!

like Mark Twain, ...but I repeat myself...
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  12. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If you don't want to rely on a spell checker, you and your wife can sit down and read the piece backwards including punctuation. One reads, the other follows.This is the way we did reports in the "old days". You catch a lot of errors that way.
  13. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

You made some very strong arguments in the paper. I would give this an A, personally, with some slight adjustments to the grammar and spelling. Then again, I don't really need to be convinced.

A good way to proofread it is to take it to somebody and have them read it over. Maybe take it to two different people and have them read it over. Posting it here is a good idea as well.

I'm writing one for my ethics class about why abortion is morally wrong. I'm currently trying to come up with a good point for why it is murder without quoting scripture. I'll have to post it here when it's finished. I already wrote one on why the death penalty is morally wrong. I'll post it in case anyone is interested in reading it.

-Mike
  14. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Here is my death penalty one.

15. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

A big thanks Mike for posting up your paper as well, certainly is a fast way to learn quite a bit about any specific topic. I am even more looking forward to seeing your abortion paper, be sure to let us take a gander at that as well!

I'm not necessarily against the death penalty, but there's really not much reason to do it. While there's people I would love to see die, I think it better to let them rot in jail. Cost being the big one for me but think of Robert Bales; he could face the death penalty? Doesn't seem right, he had serious problems and does not carry a long criminal record; locked up for life? absolutely. Killed? no way.

I'm surprised the death penalty has survived this long, I'm sure we will see it fade away.