Help grade my English homework! (no, seriously...)

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by aa1911, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Munch

Munch Member

Very nicely done! I will second 76Highboy in saying that you should submit that writing to some of the firearms/RKBA publications for a more widespread audience. A+ if I were grading the paper.
  2. toppkatt

toppkatt New Member

Glad I could be of help. Good luck in your future literary endeavors.

By the way, I noticed you accepted some of my suggestions so I removed them from public viewing. I hope you don't mind. I have a Word document saved should you need access to them.

Again, good luck! ;)
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

yes, I used most of the suggestions, a very huge thanks again for all the help!

Going to turn it in this week, should have a grade and response come next week. I do want to change the gun show loophole wording a bit but I will probably expand this thing later and will address that in more detail after I gather more info and collect more thoughts.
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

wow....

Got an 82 on this paper, by far the worst score on anything else. all other assignments (one left to be graded) were 90, 94 and the rest 100's.

will see what the final assignment score was.

It was run through a grammar website and plaigerism software, 12% is quoted. Most of the quotes got dinged for spelling and grammar which are excused but still need to go through and see how much is actually incorrect. Words like 'our' got dinged for 'improper word for formal paper' and stuff like that, so will have to weed out the false errors.

Also lost points (not sure how many) due to the paper being way over length, should've known to not pick gun rights as a topic, I couldn't help myself. being 3 times longer than it had to be was a big stupid on my part. It said should be 3 pages, didn't say couldn't be 10! hahahaa

Overall I'm happy with it and learned quite a bit so I guess that's the only thing I really care about anyway. Will have to make the recommended corrections in grammar/punctuation and send it somewhere or get it published in a journal maybe.

hmmm... thought I'd pull off a 90, oh well....
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  5. time2shoot

time2shoot Active Member

It was a good read.
  6. toppkatt

toppkatt New Member

Sorry to hear it was your worst score ever on a paper in this class. That said, going so far over assigned paper length was not probably the best idea. Sometimes the assigned length is to help you learn to edit for length. Include only the most important parts and remove the rest. With skillful writing you can allude to the missing parts and peak the readers curiosity to find out more on the subject without boring them with details. Sometimes less is more, as they say. It, in addition, keeps the papers to a length that does not over burden the instructor. Remember they have to read all these papers and mark them for grammar, content, punctuation, readability, et cetera. Also, most but not all educators are to some extent liberal, so attacking their 'mindset' will not make them likely to allow leeway in mistakes. Did your instructor tell you what style to use for the paper? MLA, APA, Chicago, Turabian etc., of course I may be showing my age and antiquated training as these styles might not be in vogue any longer, but if a certain style was requested I would make sure I stayed on task using that one. I believe WORD allows you to select the style to use from a drop down menu in the 2007 version. Also, back in the dark ages, when I was being taught, it was considered inappropriate to use contractions in a formal paper. I do not recall if you did or did not but just a reminder for the future.
    Lastly, I have not much trust in grammar checkers as I have seen them make many more mistakes than I when checking papers I have written. My best grammar checker is my wife whose father taught English at Baltimore City College. She knows grammar backwards and forwards.
    Good luck in your next paper.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

thank you!

I did shoot myself in the foot by turning in a grossly over length paper, I figured that would cost me close to a letter grade by itself. Less is more I think, I have used this to try and compress my thoughts in fewer words to bring home the same point.

MLA is the format for this class btw...

lowest score so far (one assignment left to grade) but overall I learned more from this course than any other I've taken. This is my first delve into college level education, I think I've improved. Certainly learned a lot about format and punctuation.

live and learn!
  8. toppkatt

toppkatt New Member

You're welcome and most courses I've taken have a teacher evaluation at the end, usually 'secret' and I'd make sure the instructor knows how you feel about the course. S/he may not know who wrote the evaluation but it makes the instructor feel appreciated. My father was a teacher as were my in-laws. Heard some interesting stories but I think they enjoyed it for the most part.