Help!! H&R Huntsman in .22 S.L.LR

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Fjones615, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Fjones615

Fjones615 New Member

I have an H&R Huntsman in .22 and i cant find any info on it. I have called H&R and they say it was never made in .22 but the barrel is stamped H&R "HUNTSMAN" .22 S.L.LR. and I canot find any ser#
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Fjones,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I've gone through my list of "known" rifle models - the only "HUNTSMAN" name that shows up is the Model 156 single shot, percussion, black powder in .45 & .54 bore.
    Can you and will you post some pictures of the piece? Especially the markings and a pic of the muzzle. This may turn out to be something scarce, perhaps a factory custom piece. Thanks in advance.
  3. Fjones615

Fjones615 New Member

Here are some pic sory hard to get details with the flash
  4. Fjones615

Fjones615 New Member

ok ill try agian

Attached Files:

5. Fjones615

Fjones615 New Member

6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Fjones,
    What you have there is more commonly known as the MODEL 755 SAHARA. It is a single shot "semi-automatic" youth rifle. This is a simple "blow back" design that automatically ejects the spent casing and locks the bolt back for reloading. I can't find a reference to when H&R called this the "HUNTSMAN" - but the stamping on the barrel irrefutably labels your gun as that. Another mystery semi-solved. We know H&R made these and they were offered, in the catalogues as the "SAHARA Model 755" from 1963 to 1970. I have one in my collection (see pics) and have seen a very limited number of others over the years (less than a half dozen) so I'm guessing they were not made in large quantities.
    The lack of a serial number reflects the "low cost" of these rifles and the fact that s/n were not required to be placed on guns before the GCA of 1968. So your piece was made before 1968, and as early as 1962-63. My piece has an "AF" prefix to a serial number, indicating manufacture in 1969. I'm guessing again, but it would be logical to assume that the "HUNTSMAN" name may have been used very early in production and then changed at some point - perhaps when they were first catalogued????????

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2455.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2454.jpg
  7. Fjones615

Fjones615 New Member

Any guess on value ?
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

In the apparent condition seen in the pics (v.good +), current RETAIL value is between $125 and $165 - unless you have the original box - then add $35-$40. Not many seen and from those that I have seen sold (including buying mine) the demand is not very high - it's more of a curiosity.
  9. bigtex

bigtex New Member

I used to shoot one in the 1960's when my Dad had one and I was a kid. Then
    he decided to trade it off for another gun. If I had a chance to get one again, I would love the opportunity.

hint hint!!