Help Harrell !!!!

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by billr, Apr 18, 2005.

1. billr

billr New Member

I am all over the place started at 25.8 ended at a steady 26.2 or .3
    I need some advice I am trying to use the same motion when i move the handel ------------------ball powder
    Will throw 50 charges and record them
    thanks Bill
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

billr:

Is it new? Is the powder canister plastic? Is there a static charge built up on it or any internal parts? Wiping it down with anti static fabric softener sheets might help if there is a lot of plastic parts. The graphite coating on powders eventually coats the internals and makes the measure work better and eliminates the static charge buildup. That static charge build up makes the powder stick in the canister, stick in the measuring chamber and stick in the delivery tube. Running a lot of powder through it minimises the effect, usually.

I have never been a fan of these "off brand" powder measures. Bench rest shooter swear by them but I think technique is more important with them than with an off the shelf major brand powder measure. I like my Dillon measure that came with the 550B. It will throw within about plus or minus 0.2 grains which for most purposes is more than adequate.

Accurate measurement of powder by weight is over rated. The manufacturing tolerances of the powder from batch to batch probably over shadow any measurement accuracy gain. Your accuracy seems excessive and I expect it to be because the measure is new or you are doing something very wrong.

LDBennett
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

billr:

Forgot to mention:

Have you calibrated your scale lately? Is it consistent with known weights?

LDBennett
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2005