HELP! I NEED PATCHING!

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by polishshooter, Dec 6, 2006.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I went through my "Possibles" bag to check if I have decent spare FLINTS in case I go out with the Flintlock this weekend, and no problem, I remember I bought a dozen good ones this fall at Friendship...

But I ALSO discovered I forgot to buy PATCH material!!!:eek: :mad: :mad:

I'm down to just enough for maybe 3 shots with the .010 I need for my tight .440 balls if I'm REALLY careful with the patch knife!!

I hit a couple of gun shops today and all they have are .015 or larger....I can USE that with some .435 balls I have, and is what I use to PRACTICE after a few shots foul the barrel a little and I can't get the .440s down it easily, BUT my rifle is more accurate with the .440s with a clean bore, so that's what I hunt with!

SOoooo....what can I use to MAKE the THIN patching, and how in the heck do I go about MEASURING the thickness....I can't exactly use my CALIPERS to measure CLOTH can I?????

Heck, if I knew that last week, I wouldn't have shot last years speedloaders for a little practice!:cool:
  2. polishshooter

Well, actually my crisis isn't as bad as i thought....I forgot about the patchbox in the side of the stock, I don't think I've been in there for 5 years!

There were two spare flints, a small screwdriver I forgot I had, my son's nipple pick that I SWORE I didn't have (I remember now, about ten years ago I lost a vent pick and borrowed it from him, ooops!:cool: ) and 5 pre-cut patches....

I also found a rusty old cap box at the bottom of the bag, and in it were three .440 balls and three pre-lubed patches...from the days when I didn't use the speedloaders for reloads....

So I guess I have enough now even for a few practice shots before Saturday....

But just in case, how DO you make patches?
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

You need a gun cotton recipe? :D
  4. polishshooter

No, I have enough of that for the turretted 16 inchers in my backyard, I don't shoot them very much any more though, too many houses and highways between me and the impact area 20 miles down range now...:p
  5. Polish, have you considered using silk? It's relatively expensive, but works well, or so I am told.
  6. polishshooter

No I haven't, but do you think my wife will notice one of her tops missing from the closet?:cool:
  7. Well, Polish, if a few days later you find your favorite hunting shirt being used as a dust cloth, or to clean the toilets, you will have your answer. Women can really be subtle when they're pissed off. :D Actually, silk in the quantity you need (a yard or less) is really not all that expensive. Any fabric store--and likely even Wally World--carries the stuff. I've purchased it to use as a liner for a gun case a few times.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2006
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Polish,

I always used pillow ticking bought at a cloth shop. One yard will make alot of patches. Wash first to remove the sizing,then cut into strips about 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" wide. Then roll up.

When ready to load, place roundball in lubed cloth, use bullet starter to seat ball, then trim cloth with patch knife. The result is a nice round patch.

Also for cleaning, I would buy baby flannel, wash and cut into strips.

I'm probably preaching to the choir but have always wondered why people bought pre-cut patches. :D
  9. polishshooter

How thick is the pillow ticking normally? It can vary, can't it?

And yeah, when I was young and stupid and just starting out I used precut patches, and carried the patch knife for "looks...":p but now I usually buy it at Friendship in strips at the desired thickness and use my patch knife.

In fact, one of my projects is to make a new patch knife, it's tough to find one made just right, the one I liked best i managed to BREAK, :mad: and with the bevel only on one side of the knife...I have a couple of deer horn pieces, and a couple of needle files that should work nicely for a blade....
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I can't recall the thickness ,but as I remember, some of the ticking is thicker and I bought both.

Track of the Wolf should have patch knife blanks that should look great with an antler. I had an original Green River patch knife but it was sold to a friend along with a new hand made possibles bag when I stopped buckskinning. Also, you should be able to find the blanks at the Spring Shoot at Friendship.
  11. RimfireRat

RimfireRat New Member

you can use your calipers to measure the cloth. a 70 something friend of mine goes to the loacl Ben Franklin and buys his pillow ticking . he takes his calipers along. The first time in the ladies thiought he was a crazy old man .but they got used to him :D --JMJ--