Help ID an old Iver Johnson revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by seashell410, Aug 3, 2009.

1. seashell410

seashell410 New Member

I was given my great-grandmother's step father's Iver Johnson revolver with nothing else known about the gun.

The top of the barrel has IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS FITCHBURG, MASS U.S.A.

5 chamber revolver WITH a hammer
    3" barrell
    SN under left grip is F96202

On butt of grip is partially worn but says:

PATD APR 6 96 FEB 1?
    MAY 10 87 MAR 13 89 ???
    25 96 PAT'S PENDING

If anyone has any information about the age and or value of this gun I would greatly appreciate it. Bill,
    If you are reading this I certainly hope you could share with me some of your vast knowledge about this pistol. When was it made, how many were made, which model it is first or second, and about what the value is. Thank you so much.
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a second model small frame hammer 32 S&W caliber manufactured 1903. there were approx.50,000 manufactured in 1903 and total production of the second model small frame hammer 32 S&W caliber of approx. 950,000 between 1897 and 1908.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, nickel finish standard, blue optional, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Hammer the Hammer action, two frame sizes, and three calibers. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12 ¼ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Frame height: small frame 3 ¼ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Only difference between the first and second model is the barrel latch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$135
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster grip adapter add 100%
    bill
  3. seashell410

seashell410 New Member

Bill,

Thank you so much for all the information.

Bill or any other antinque gun gurus,

It sounds like this peice is something I should just clean up and display as an family heirloom. This gun is blued. The action is in great conditon works nicely. There is only light corosion and moderate waer of the bluing. Any suggestions on how to clean/ restore this properly? I also have a 1914-1915 H& R sixth variation Premier 35 .32 cal S7W revolver. Not blued there is light corosion to the stainless steel. My grat grandad must have dropped the gun at a point because I can see the grip near the butt is cracked and missing a chunk. Are replacement parts even available?
  4. jondar

jondar New Member

Google e-gunparts.com. They list many replacement grips. Tho shown as factory original, they appear as repros. (Have flashing which must be removed) Also shows as needing final fitting. Not cheap, $20-25. Shown as "Old Model .22-.32, I'm not sure if they mean 2nd Model or prior model. My experience with e-gunparts is an occasionl wrong part but they make it good.