Help ID Firearm

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by joross, Apr 10, 2011.

1. joross

joross New Member

Please help to ID this revolver from Harrington&Richards
    .22 caliber Topbreak, nickelplated 2 inch barrel, 7 shot auto eject with following markings :
    Top of Barrel - H&R. ARMS CO
    Worchester, MASS. U.S.A
    Left side of barrel - 22 RIM FIRE
    Serial nr - 392xxx

What type of ammo may be used, and value of firearm please
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

joross,
    Welcome to the forum. You have a "BICYCLE" model - if it has a hammer it is a variant of the "PREMIER" series. If no hammer, it is a variant of the "SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS" series. Depending upon which one it is-the serial number can give us a rough idea of the year of manufacture. Value will depend upon ID and CONDITION - how much of the finish remains and whether everything works as intended. Please supply this info for further ID and valuation.
  3. joross

joross New Member

Hi Jim

Thank you for the reply.
    The weapon does have a hammer, condition not to bad, all parts are in working condition - nickleplating basic still 90% with only a couple of scratches. Serial number 392895
    Hope this will help
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

joross,
    You have a 2nd Model PREMIER BICYCLE (analogous to the PREMIER 2nd Model 4th Variation) - w/ hammer. Considering the serial number (the Bicycle variation was serialed in the same series as the standard Premier) it is most likely a mid to late 1920's piece. If truly in 90% condition and in full working condition AND in .22rf (a plus) - I'd estimate today's RETAIL price would be around $200 - $225. These are not common and are desireable to collectors.
    IMG_2024_2.jpg
  5. joross

joross New Member

Hi Jim
    Thank you again for the prompt reply. The gun is excactly as precribed in the photo and decription, and still works beautifully and a great joy to shoot so now and then. We kept the shooting to a minimum as we suspected the firearm to be old, and due to the good condition we tried to keep her in such good shape. The gun is owned by a family friend and was passed down from his grandfather uncle down the family, and is now in his care.
    Thank you again for the assistance and greetings from us in South-Africa
  6. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I recommend shooting only low power ammo, such as .22 shorts in your revolver. Over the years I have seen many of these .22 H&R revolvers with a long thin crack in the breach face. The cracks are not a safety concern but troubling all the same.
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Joross,
    You're certainly welcome - thanks for posting from South-Africa - I really appreciate hearing how far the H&R's have spread around the world. Does yours have any British proof or view marks on it? I recently had a contact from a gentleman in INDIA who had acquired an H&R revolver with British proofs.
    ALSO - I second what 45Auto posted about ammo - keep it low powered stuff - standard velocity and perhaps the Aguila no powder loads - the Colibri or Super Colibri.
  8. joross

joross New Member

Hallo Jim

My apologies for only replying now on your enquiry on the British markings, but I was out of town and did not see my friend for a while. We inspected the gun for any British marking but could not find any such markings sorry

Greetings
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

joross,
    No need to apologize - we all have "other" things to do, now and then. Thanks for follow-up on the lack of Brit. proof markings. How it got to S.Africa will remain a mystery - maybe a direct import (probably not) or brought into country by an immigrant?
    Enjoy shooting it.