The Firearms Forum banner

Help ID These WW2 german and US Medals OR?

4K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Insjim 
G
#1 ·
Need some help here with ID on a few of these medals etc. I picked them up from a gunshow I set up at this past weekend. An older gent came to my table and dumped them out and ask me for $25...Almost seemed like he was suffering from diminsia as he offered me up no info on them, just said to give him $25 and be his friend....So I talked with him a few minuites and poof he was gone. I will be cataloging them for sale but would like to ID a few of them first and perhaps you could offer up the worth if you see one that perhaps is worth something. Thanks in advance as this is not my expertise by any means.

Medal Award Symbol Brass Label

Bronze Metal Brass Bronze Artifact

Carmine Tan Badge Peach Walking shoe

Metal Wing Craft Brass Badge

See less See more
G
#2 ·
On the bottom photo the Gold leaf is marked 1/20 10K Is that a US or german Leaf? Also the Bottom photo big brass one with the wheat in I guess swords has two loops on back? All the ones on bottom photo I am clueless? Any help here appreciated...The tank one looks like it has russian writing on the back screw on piece...FOTO-PAM KRAKOW?

G
#3 ·
I know this is for German Red Cross but what is the award for?...It was in the big US Blue box but what is supposed to be in that box? The back of the medal says Ges. Gesch in raised letters.

Red Carmine Maroon Knot Craft

G
#4 ·
Totally cluesless on everything about this one, The neck ribbon has a buckle and the color is half orange and half white. It has blue and red inlays in the middle of medal and nothing marked on back. Help?

Carmine Tan Badge Peach Walking shoe

Circle Symmetry Bronze Spiral

#5 · (Edited)
To get you started, Bottom ( five medals ) row .1.Asiatic-Pacific Campaign 2. Victory Metal.WWII 3. WWII Occupation medal 4. Bronze Star ( Not always a battle decoration, in this case, it looks to be awarded for showing up for work. ) 5. Army Good Conduct Medal ( no article 15's ) Top row( three medals ), 1.Europe-Africa - Middle East Medal WWII, 2. USAR/National Guard Achievement Award 3. Army commendation Medal 3RD Award , The one star or pointy one with Purple and gold ribbon with the eagle is the Air Medal. The orange and white ribbon , I believe is Belgium.

G
#9 ·
The Orange and White ribbon medal is an emblem for a young men's organization, DeMolay. Has Nothing to do with military.
Thanks sir you nailed it, Demolay it is, A 90 year old organization...This must be a old one as I found many with the same theme but not exact. Keep em coming guys I need the help on the oak leaves and the other brass ones in that picture.

#12 · (Edited)
There are all kinds of veterans/service/civil organizations with their own medals and pins and awards - looks like you have quite a mix there. (That Philadelphia liberty bell badge, for one.) It's an odd collection, alright.

I was particularly struck by the Army of Occupation Medal, as it's the US Navy version (that's Neptune on the disc) - I received the Army version for service in the Berlin Brigade, and the disc has the Remagen bridge on one side, and Mount Fuji on the other, for units serving in occupied Japan after WWII. The medal was retired in 1990 after the Berlin Brigade was disbanded, following the opening of the Wall.

Here's the criteria for the USN AOM:

Germany (excluding Berlin) between 9 May 1945 and 5 May 1955; Austria between 9 May 1945 and 27 July 1955; Berlin between 9 May 1945 and 2 October 1990; Italy between 9 May 1945 and 15 September 1947 in the compartment of Venezia Giulia E. Zara or Province of Udine, or with a unit in Italy designated in DA General Order 4, 1947; Japan between 3 September 1945 and 27 April 1952 in the four main islands of Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu; the surrounding smaller islands of the Japanese homeland; the Ryukyu Islands; and the Bonin-Volcano Islands;Korea between 3 September 1945 and 29 June 1949.

BTW, the blue box is a standard US military presentation box for most medals. It would contain the full-size medal, the ribbon (worn on a standard ribbon bar), and a miniature lapel ribbon that can be worn on a civilian suit. Some presentation boxes for particular medals also include the miniature medal that is worn on certain evening dress uniforms.

G
#13 ·
There are all kinds of veterans/service/civil organizations with their own medals and pins and awards - looks like you have quite a mix there. (That Philadelphia liberty bell badge, for one.) It's an odd collection, alright.

I was particularly struck by the Army of Occupation Medal, as it's the US Navy version (that's Neptune on the disc) - I received the Army version for service in the Berlin Brigade, and the disc has the Remagen bridge on one side, and Mount Fuji on the other, for units serving in occupied Japan after WWII. The medal was retired in 1990 after the Berlin Brigade was disbanded, following the opening of the Wall.

Here's the criteria for the USN AOM:

Germany (excluding Berlin) between 9 May 1945 and 5 May 1955; Austria between 9 May 1945 and 27 July 1955; Berlin between 9 May 1945 and 2 October 1990; Italy between 9 May 1945 and 15 September 1947 in the compartment of Venezia Giulia E. Zara or Province of Udine, or with a unit in Italy designated in DA General Order 4, 1947; Japan between 3 September 1945 and 27 April 1952 in the four main islands of Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu; the surrounding smaller islands of the Japanese homeland; the Ryukyu Islands; and the Bonin-Volcano Islands;Korea between 3 September 1945 and 29 June 1949.

BTW, the blue box is a standard US military presentation box for most medals. It would contain the full-size medal, the ribbon (worn on a standard ribbon bar), and a miniature lapel ribbon that can be worn on a civilian suit. Some presentation boxes for particular medals also include the miniature medal that is worn on certain evening dress uniforms.
You had me researching the medal, I searched Neptune as you quoted and you are correct, But this one is for Marines as marked on the back..Seems as if they were the same exept they marked the branch of service on the back. Much appreciated.

Still looking for the odd ball brass ones if anyone has any help its appreciated.

G
#16 ·
Ahha Thats it, I was looking for a ribbon between them...Looks like all I need is a copper wire or brass loop and it is back together again. Thanks alot and keep em coming. I found the other civil war looking one with the red white and blue ribbon and it seems in is for Sons of Civil War Veterans dated 1886.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.