help identify old gun

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Clueless, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Clueless

Clueless New Member

I have an old double barrel handgun that was handed down from my great grandfather, I can't find any markings on the gun. Any ideas of what it is?

Attached Files:

• 047.jpg
      047.jpg
      File size:
      330.5 KB
      Views:
    • 048.jpg
      048.jpg
      File size:
      95.4 KB
      Views:
    • 049.jpg
      049.jpg
      File size:
      84.6 KB
      Views:
    • 050.jpg
      050.jpg
      File size:
      251.2 KB
      Views:
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

most likely there would be some markings under the barrels. remove the ram rod then push out the wedge and the barrels should lift off the stock.

it is a beautiful gun. i would love to own such a piece.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Looks French to me.
  4. Pustic

Pustic Member

It could be an Ethan Allen double barrel pistol..., or maybe not.
  5. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

That is a beautiful Gun, probably very valuable...
  6. 22shot

22shot New Member

Clueless-
    My dang computer won't fully load your photos!

Still going to give it a shot...

From the size of the trigger guard; I'd guess it has a single trigger. If so; chances are good that this is an Ethan Allen (as previosly posted) because he held the patent for a "progrssive" lockwork that fired one barrel; and then the other by pulling a single trigger (1800's).
    In any case; it is a "Gentlemans" gun; not made for the riff raff. the butt cap is pretty ornate; that pointy diamond shapped thingy would leave a lasting impression on a highwaymans head.
    The trigger guard has a finger rest for better control in aiming; but it's not a "dueling" pistol (one barrel too many; unfair)
    There seems to be very ornate scrollwork on the lock plates; again;a "Gentlemans" gun.

I'd like to know what those little openings on the sideplates were for...

That's about it; based on what my computer is allowing me to see!
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  7. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I see two triggers on this pistol.

Pistols like this were made in various places in Europe cira 1845 - 1870. My first guess is that it was made in Belgium, one of the largest gunmaking centers at that time. If Belgian, it will have Belgian proof marks on the barrels under the stock. My next guess would be one of the German states or France. If French or German it might not have proof marks depending upon the age of the pistol. Spain also made alot of double barrel pistols, while it could be Spanish I think the style is not of the type they usualy made.

Such pistols often came in pairs fitted into a case with bullet mould, flask, etc.

I would advise against doing any repair work other than a little oil to stop active rust. It looks like someone tried to remove the lock screw and broke it off. In my experince, broken screws are a common problem with antique firearms.

In general, it's a nice find. I'm sure many collectors would enjoy owning it. With a little work by the right gunsmith it will be even better.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010