1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

help identify old shotgun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by noumanzia, Nov 29, 2011.

1. noumanzia

noumanzia New Member

I have a old single shot 12G, i was told it french, i have scanned through the gun and found somethings like,
    Manufactured by Net d armes de grate , erauit somthing like that
    acier special
    I am also attaching pics , please held me, Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. BillM

BillM Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a question?:confused:
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The star-over-PT is a French proof. Smokeless, from 1900. The 70 should be the chamber length, in millimeters, which is 2 1/2 inches, so do not fire modern ammo in it.

You can either buy 2 1/2 inch shells, which, while scarce, are out there, but quite expensive (around 10 to 15 bucks a box) or have the chamber lengthened.

2 3/4" shells will fit in a 2 1/2 inch chamber, and fire, but they won't open enough, so the pressures will skyrocket. Bad juju.
  4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Looks like Manufacture d'Armes de Chatellerault to me. It's a side-by-side, not a single-barrel shotgun. That should be an MAC in a diamond.

Acier Special just means "Special Steel" and is a common marking on French shotguns.

1920's-1930's probably, but that's a guess.
  5. noumanzia

noumanzia New Member

I need to know the name of GUN and its manufacturer??
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

The Manufacture d'armes de Chatellerault was a French state owned weapons manufacturer in the town of Chatellerault.
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

manufacturer is as in your pic the names ( model ) is on the far side of the lug's in your pic
    from memory

Hawg your spot on Government arm's (Nat. d'Armes) manufacturer at Chatellerault

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  8. noumanzia

noumanzia New Member

Thanks all for replying and helping in identifying the weapon, i have added another pic. May be it can help in idetifying the model ( Name) of shotgun. Moreover , could any one tell me its worth now a days??
  9. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

It's an Acier Special.
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Acier Special simply means Special Steel and refers to what the barrels are made of. It is not a model name. Not all guns have model names, particularly European guns. If you just have to have a name for it, I would pick George.

These guns are not heavily collected and would have value as a shooter. $300-$350 or so.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i think its the etttiene a copy made by the Chatellerault for the anniversary of St Ettiene armaments factory , the ettiene factory got the new legion weapons contract so could not make all its own commemorative editions and Chatellerault made quite few ( from reading in different books ) the markings all match, and i cant find any other double gun made by Chatellerault, lots of singles but no doubles with the exception of the St ettiene commemorative and these where not a cheap or common gun , one sale in the UK last year saw one sell for near to $700 USD ( $640 plus buyer premium) the EU is the place to get the best value for these as else where they are just another gun .. and hard to get parts for ..
  12. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Not a commemorative. This is a shooter/hunter grade double. They are uncommon in the US but not uncommon in Europe, primarily in 16 gauge.
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

then i dunno what it is as i cant find any other double at Chatellerault

some made elsewhere and proofed there but none made there

even the Castellum Airaldi model was made elsewhere and thats the original name of Chatellerault...

but undocumented guns from france , not uncommon at all
  14. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

There have been several MAC 16ga SxS shotguns with these same markings show up from time to time. Heck, even once on this forum:

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=2818

MAC made shooter/hunter grade side-by-side shotguns until 1968. They are not collected as far as I know. If the gun is solid, we can lengthen the chambers for 2 3/4" shotgun shells and modernize the forcing cones.
  15. JBBR

JBBR New Member

Your Shotgun is a Made in France "MAC" and the 70 is for 70 cm which is a 2 3/4 modern shell not the 2 1/2 shell. If it was labled 65, it would have been for a 2 1/2 inch shell.