HELP identify Unusual Markings on Web Sling ? ? ?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ersatz, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ersatz

ersatz New Member

I picked up what I believe is a British P-08 web sling. It has some interesting & unusual markings stamped on each brass end. The sling is all black webbing, not blancoed. It measures 45" in length. The stampings look to be a O with a character, and 17. Not sure if the "O" is a number, or letter, definitely some foreign character as well. But could the #17 indicate the year of 1917? Please see the photo. Webbing to sling is strong & in very nice condition, brass ends are very much tarnished. Would appreciate any and all input. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

3. ersatz

ersatz New Member

Thanks for the direction! Have tried to register, however, unable to because my email address has been refused.
  4. jondar

jondar New Member

Could that character after the "0" be construed as a "7"? I know on the British bayonets the month and year of manufacture are stamped. At least on my MK III bayonet it is. That would make the DOM of your sling July, 1917? I have a webbing sling also on my SMLE No.1 MK III* which is totally unmarked.
  5. tarheel101

tarheel101 New Member

The second character appears to be Arabic. Maybe the Arabic number 6.

Tarheel
  6. ersatz

ersatz New Member

I don't think that is a "7" after the "0". It doesn't resemble the 17 marking in any way. I am very familiar with standard British markings and I can certainly say that this is not the manner in which they mark their items. I have some WW-1 web P-08 slings that have the maker's name and date (only) of manufacture nicely stamped on the brass ends. To my knowledge WW2 web slings usually have stencilled dates & maker's.
  7. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

I posted this over on the Brit board for you. I will let you know if they come up with anything.

Dean
  8. ersatz

ersatz New Member

Dean, many thanks for your help! Hope to reciprocate sometime. TED.......
  9. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

Here are a some replies:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009