Help identifying 3 rimfires

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gsk177, Oct 19, 2005.

1. gsk177

gsk177 New Member

Help identifying 3 rimfires PICS INCLUDED

Thank you in advance for all replies.

Acquired these from my fathers estate and am trying to gain as much info about them as possible.

1) I have a Springfield Savage Arms .22 auto 187R. Basically trying to find some websites that will help me identify it further as there is no serial # stamped on it.

2) Coast to Coast Stores CC550 Marlin .22 auto serial # 25291870

3) Browning BL-22 with a serial # of 57B59891 Made in Japan. The identification guide on the Browning website is confusing, as it does not specify how to decifer a serial # with 2 digits before the "B" identifier.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

The 57B indicates manufacture in 1957. It also indicates the rifle was made by F.N. in Belgium (B), not Japan which started later. Price would depend on condition and grade.
  3. gsk177

gsk177 New Member

Thanks for your reply.

So even though the roll mark states Made in Japan, the serial # identifies it as being made in Belgum?
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi gsk177.........welcome to TFF.

The "Springfield" trade name was Savage/Stevens inexpensive "economy brand". It's lack of serial # indicates that it was made prior to 1968. The Gun Control Act of 1968 required that all firearms be serialized. Prior to that, many manufacturers didn't bother to serialize many of their less expensive guns.

I don't find either a Savage or Stevens Model 187 or 187R listed. There was a Stevens Model 87M which was a .22 semi-auto rifle designed to look like the M1 Garand, and a Model 987 which was a 15 shot, tube fed, semi-auto with a 20" barrel.

I don't find a Model CC550 listed under Coast To Coast on my cross-reference list. I do find a Model CC650 which corresponds to a Marlin Model 55. Only problem is, when I go to the Marlin list, I find no Marlin Model 55 listed.

Can you give us more complete descriptions of your 187R and CC550? Even better......full length photos of both sides of both rifles might help us pin down what they are and their possible values.
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Where on the rifle is the roll marks? Barrel or receiver?

6. gsk177

gsk177 New Member

OK, I going to post 3 separate replies with included pictures and detailed descriptions.

The one pictured below is the 187R. THe roll mark is located on the barrel.

----Savage Arms------
    SPRINGFIELD Westfield Mass USA Model 187R
    22 HS SHORT LONG OR L.R. AS AUTO

No serial # stamped anywhere

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  7. gsk177

gsk177 New Member

This gun is the CC550. Roll mark is on the barrel and says

Coast to Coast Stores Model CC550 Marlin Firearms Co.
    Minneapolis MINN 22 cal LR only North Haven Conn

Serial # is stamped on receiver and is 25291870

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  8. gsk177

gsk177 New Member

Final gun is the BL-22

Roll mark is on the barrel and says

BL-22 Caliber 22 Short Long & Long Rifle
    Patent No 3377731

on the opposite side of the barrel is this roll mark

Browning Arms Company Morgan Utah & Montreal P. Q.
    Made in Japan

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
  9. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Well, since the serial number is on the receiver, that is correct for made in Belgium. However, it may have, at one time, been rebarreled with the Japan barrel. These rifles started life in 1956 with the serial number prefixed with 56B and was made in Belgium by Fabrique National. Yours is considered an early production piece. I believe the production was moved to Japan in the 60's or even 70's. I will look further into it when I get home, but right now I suspect that the barrel was changed along the way!

Okay, I have been looking in other forums on this BL-22. Seems that some of tthe Canadien guns may have had a different numbering system. I will look further into this one.
  10. Xracer

Nice pix gsk.....just exactly what we needed.

Your Springfield Model 187R is identical to the Savage Model 60 or 88. Only difference between the two is that the 88 had a hardwood stock. Springfield being a cheaper brand, yours is probably the 60.

Value as shown.....$70 to $80.

Coincidentally, your CC550 is also a Model 60, but a Marlin/Glenfield Model 60.

Value as shown.....$75 to $85.

No collector value here, but they're both reliable fun shooters. Hope you'll shoot them plenty and enjoy them.
  11. gsk177

gsk177 New Member

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

MY only other question has to do with age of the Springfield and Marlin rifles.
  12. Xracer

OK.....did some more checking. The Savage Model 60 was made from 1969-72.....which means that your gun can't be a Model 60 or it would have a serial # (all post-1968 guns were required to have serial #s). So.......your Springfield must be an earlier model, the Model 6, which was made from 1938 to 1968. Also, the pre-WWII Model 6s ('38-'42) had checkered stocks, the postwar ones didn't.

That means that your Springfield is a Savage Model 6, made sometime between 1947 and 1968. Sorry, that's the closest I can date it.

The Marlin Model 60 was first made in 1960, and, in fact, is still being made and sold today: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/selfLoading22wTubularMag/60.htm

According to this website, http://oldguns.net/cgi-bin/f2f/f2f.pl?http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php , Marlin used a two letter code from '62 to '69 and from '69 to '90 used "The first two digits of the serial number designate the year of manufacture, either as the last two digits of the year (in 1969-71) or as a number code (1971 and later).."

The first two digits of your serial # being 25, indicates a manufacture date of 1975.
  13. gsk177

gsk177 New Member

Thank you so much for your help Xracer.

Based on the previous post, would your value estimates remain the same?

As soon as I dig out my grandpa's 38 SW Ill post the serial #. Im to the understanding that it is a pre 1958 Model 10. Would you be able to help on handguns as well?
  14. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Xracer or one of the staff or members will help on whatever gun you have.

IPT
  15. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Made by FN in 57??? IB dont think so. Made by Miroku starting in 1970. Not listed under FN in any my bks. SO, dummie borderjumpin wetbak where U get yur socalled info?? Miroku not outside Brussels, well yeah it is ----way dam outside. last time IB look it inda landa risin sun.
    piks not that grate IB say $200 give r take a few $$.

oh yeah chippflipper I no u texicans cant stand Blue Books or Stan. Cat of Firearms but YO dats wot they say

wottau say?? :cool: