Paul Jaeger - Jenkintown, PA stamped on the barrel

looking to find out age, history, and value

also wondering how to put on a scope without hurting the value

Thanks all
Steely

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The gun was a G.33/40, a short, lightened version of the 98 Mauser based on the Czech Model 1933. It was adopted by the Germans for mountain troops in 1940 (hence the second number). The bolt handle, if original, is hollow, the receiver ring is the small size, and there are lightening cuts in the receiver and magazine box. AFAIK, all were made by Waffenwerke Brunn (Brno) in Czechoslovakia with the code of either "945" or later "dot". The original caliber was 8mm (the standard German 7.9mm military round).

In original condition, it would have been a desirable collectors item; as it is, it is a nice sporting rifle with no collector interest. I see no reason not to have it drilled and tapped if you wish and that would actually increase the value.

Paul Jaeger, of Jenkintown, PA (a part of the Philadelphia metro area), established what amounted to a small factory after WWII, specializing in sporterizing thousands of ex-military rifles like that one. Many were converted to other calibers, with .30-'06 being the most popular. The workmanship was very good and a good Jaeger rifle makes a nice sporter. Dollar value is hard to assess, being basically what someone will pay for it. It is not a simple "chop the stock" job and I would hazard a guesstimate of around $500, probably a lot less in constant dollar terms than the owner paid for the job.

Jim

#3 ·
Thanks Jim,
Your a Huge help!

you mentioned:
(all were made by Waffenwerke Brunn (Brno) in Czechoslovakia with the code of either "945" or later "dot".)
Where will I find that 945 or dot on the rifle?

The bolt handle is hollow, however it also has an etched checkered finish,
which I haven't seen on military rifles before,
so I assume that the bolt handle has been replaced as well.

Also I feel like an idiot with this rifle:
how do you remove the bolt?
I can't get the bolt to release using the trigger or the safety

Thanks again
Steely

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.