Help Identifying Hawken Rifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by kllong, Apr 14, 2011.

1. kllong

kllong New Member

I was looking for a little help identifying an old Hawken rifle I inherited from my great grandfather when he passed away. Its not in the greatest condition and has only a few identifyable markings. The barrel is stamped H HAWKEN. and on the side of the hammer plate i can read the word WARRANTED. Those are the only markings i can read. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!

.54 cal
    38 3/4" barrel
    55" overal length
    double pull trigger
    percussion
  2. rammed

rammed New Member

pictures?
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Probably a Belgian knockoff. It's not a real Hawken.
  4. kllong

kllong New Member

Here are some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

Do you have a good picture of the barrel stamping?
  6. kllong

kllong New Member

Barrel stamp. H HAWKEN

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  7. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

It appears to be old, and the barrel is abnormally looooong for a 1/2 stock rifle, and calibre is a bit on the heavy side. I'm guessing it is a late 19th century import riding the coat tails of the Hawken name--just like W. Richards rode the coat tails of Westley Richards. Yes, it is probably Belgian origin, as mentioned above, probably late 19th century.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Half stock rifles carried barrels from 36-44 inches. There's one existing genuine Hawken with a 33 inch barrel but it's speculated it was shortened later on.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011