help identifying inherited rifle

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by krig51, Jan 2, 2012.

1. krig51

krig51 New Member

terrific to see more replies, great info, pics & tips to this thread !
    now to just find some appropriate ammo, lol.
    (honestly doubt i'll ever fire it, but it appears quite functional)
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

One of the pistols "passed thru my hands" a few years back. It wasn't an H&R so I didn't keep it. My research indicated that: the pistol's action was identical to the carbine/rifle, merely changed the stocks; they were issued in pairs to mounted troops as saddle holster guns; Germans/Bavarians/Austrians called them "Blitz pistole/Karabin" because of the rapidity of reloading (as opposed to muzzle stuffers I'd guess"; they were all the rage for a decade or two. I remember that this one was heavy for a single shot pistol and that the action (once cleaned up a bit) was very fluid and smooth. Here's a couple pics of the action:

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg
  4. jarmann

jarmann New Member

the werder locking system is always kept with open bolt when not in use ,to preserve tension of the omega spring
    the carabines where all manufactures in liege/lutich(belgium ) by francotte about a 5000 where delivered after the french /german war in 1871
    greetings from over the pond
    jarmann
  5. jarmann

jarmann New Member

I was wrong mentioning the amount of werder carabines ,it must be 4000 pieces and 4000 pistols that where orderd by the bavarian governement
    mr ludwig werder was the director of MAN ( Maschienenbau Gesesellschaft Nurnberg ) a railroad material enginering cy ,later the famous dieselmotor builders
    greetings from flanders
    jarmann
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

and welcome to the Forum to you jarmann

G'day from Australia
  7. jarmann

jarmann New Member

my werder is model 69 in 11,5x50 R
    found it in very good condition just needed a general cleanup and omaga spring adjustment ,I think it was stored more than a hundred years with closed bold , hammer gave a to light blow on the primers ,ejection spring was broken but a new one was made cases are airborn now ,cases made from .43 spanish and 45/70 ,will fireform with vitha N110 and .446 mauser bullet ,use 2/3 gn of dacron as keeper
    greetings from over the pond
    jarmann
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't know about "blitz" (lightning), but they are pretty fast. Just push the front "trigger", drop a round in the breech, cock the hammer and fire. A shade faster than the Martini action and a lot faster than the American "trapdoor", but a lot more complex than either.

Jim