1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help identifying Iver Johnson 5 shot "owl head"

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by OldGunQ, Jan 19, 2009.

1. OldGunQ

OldGunQ New Member

Hello,

I have a gun my grandfather left me that I am trying to research.
    No interest in selling it, just getting some background info.

It has an owl head on the grip and looks much like the IJ-6469 i've seen pix of online.

The only numbers i see printed on it anywhere are underneath the trigger guard, it says "396". Nothing else is printed on the gun.

Its a 5 shot, 3" barrel gun.

Any help in finding out its age and more info on the gun would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jo

Attached Files:

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

jo,
    i can't give you the exact year of manufacture with the information posted. the serial number on the bottom of the trigger guard is a secondary location and not added until 1904. the main serial number lacation is on the left side of the grip frame and the grips must be removed to see. this is the location of any letter code prefix to the serial number and this letter code prefix is what i need to identify year of manufacture. the picture does verify that it is a small frame 32 S&W caliber second model, see below.

SECOND MODEL SAFETY AUTOMATIC HAMMER REVOLVER
    (Black Powder Cartridges)------------1896-1908
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME VERSIONS USES HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION: Double top post barrel latch, nickel finish standard, blue optional, hard rubber grip panels with Owls head at top. Hammer the Hammer action, two frame sizes, and three calibers. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ¼ inches; Calibers: small frame .22 rimfire 7 rounds cylinder capacity, .32 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity, large frame .38 centerfire 5 rounds cylinder capacity; Weight: small frame with 3 inch barrel .22 rimfire 12 ounces, .32 centerfire 12 ¼ ounces, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 17¼ ounces; Frame height: small frame 3 ¼ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/26 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ¼ inch barrel 7 3/8 inches. Only difference between the first and second model is the barrel latch. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see. The Second Model features a double top post barrel latch, flat leaf hammer spring and two cross pins in the lower frame.
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$135
    For revolvers equipped with Bourne Knuckleduster add 100%

the cut off hammer spur is most likely not original. THIS REVOLVER IS DESIGNED FOR BLACK POWDER CARTRIDGE PRESSURES AND IS NOT SAFE WITH MODERN SMOKELESS AMMO.
    bill
  3. tinygcourtney@att.ne

tinygcourtney@att.ne New Member

I have one of these pistols and I need to know if there is any parts avalable for them the cylender advance mech is missing also the S/N on it is starts with R87 when was it made

Thanks
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

You have one of what guns, a small frame break open in .32 like the original Poster? Or is yours a large frame hammerless? How many total digits in the serial number, did it come from under the left grip? that prefix number was used for three years and a hundred thousand guns. with out more information no one can help you. did you even read the above post from Mr. Gorforth or the sticky which states " Read before posting ".
    With all due respect, you basically told us you have a gun, where can I get parts:eek:
  5. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

You should be able to find parts from MiGa gun parts in Georgia. They seem to have a pretty good stock of parts that even Numrich lists as out of stock. The best way to find out if they have what you need is to e-mail them. You can pay for any parts from them with paypal.