Help identifying old .22 rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by MeHunter, Nov 30, 2012.

1. MeHunter

MeHunter New Member

Could someone please provide information on this .22 LR. The only markings on the rifle include: "Sport .22 Long Rifle." Any information provided would be greatly appreciated. This gun was given to my by my great grandfather. He said he bought it when he was 16. He is now in his 90s.

Attached Files:

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      174.1 KB
      Views:
    • .22.jpg
      .22.jpg
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
  2. MeHunter

MeHunter New Member

Re: Old .22 Rifles

My great grandfather gave this to me a while back. He said he bought it when he was 16 and he is now in his 90s. Any information you could provide about the gun would be greatly appreciated! Nice work by the way.

Attached Files:

• .22.jpg
      .22.jpg
      File size:
      97.2 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      174.1 KB
      Views:
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

You have a much better chance of getting help with this here, so I moved the posts for you.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

And just offhand, it looks exactly like my first .22, which I bought in the early 50's from Sears; it was a J.C. Higgins, IIRC.
    You opened the bolt, inserted a bullet, closed the bolt, then had to cock it by pulling that knob back. Ultra safe for a beginning shooter.
  5. clamman

clamman Member

Not sure what you have, but I have an old Iver Johnson model X that looks similar to that.