1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help Identifying old rifle

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by s.a.p.717, Aug 9, 2008.

1. s.a.p.717

s.a.p.717 New Member

Hey folks, I am new here! I found a very old rifle in my grandma's basement that I was hoping to identify. She does not know much about it as a family friend gave it to her. It has some worn engravings on the metal behind the hammer, I can only really make out that it was made in 1873. It has a ramrod, so I think I am at least posting in the right subforum! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any help identifying this rifle is greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Edit: Upon a closer look it appears there are multiple dates listed, I can see many month names....weird
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  2. sart1961

sart1961 New Member

It resembles the Remington type rolling block rifle.
  3. s.a.p.717

s.a.p.717 New Member

Looks like you're right, thanks!
  4. s.a.p.717

s.a.p.717 New Member

What's a safe way to clean up an old gun like this? Would modern gun cleaning sprays be harmful to the metal? Would it be foolish ( I bet the answer is yes) to take some very fine steel wool and clean the metal? Thank you.