The Firearms Forum banner

Help identifying pistol

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Hawg 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm trying to identify the weapon pictured here. It is my father's who ended up receiving it from his great uncle years ago. I have three pictures attached here and have no idea or see of any markings on the weapon. If anyone knows anything about it or perhaps areas where I should focus on for markings to help identify, I can ask for additional pics from him. I do know there is a location for the muzzle loader under the barrel (missing) and it does have a powder horn. There also appears to be a floral like pattern in a gold like color throughout various parts of the weapon.
Brown Product Shotgun Black Trigger
Wood Brown Line Hardwood Tan
Finger Brown Wood Hardwood Smoothing plane

Thank you for any information at all.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for your help....he said it appears to be that...possibly with a star? in a triangular pattern. I'm waiting for him to send me over a pic to better identify and for him to look under a magnifying glass....does this make sense? I will post a pic as soon as possible. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP....been trying to find this one out for awhile.

#5 ·
Ok he is saying that he only sees an "L C". Without seeing it in person, it is hard to say. I attached a pic here of the barrel on it's own and one with the ELG overlay. Guessing it is possible that the E and portion of G could have worn away over time. I did some research and could only find "L.C. Smith" as a gun maker. ELG seems more likely...but again looking at pics, do you have a better opinion / more confidence in ELG? Thank you again for your help.
Brown
Metal Circle Silver Brass

#7 ·
ELG over a star is a Belgian proof mark used from 1810-1893. In 1893 a crown was added at the top. If it was originally made as a percussion you can narrow it down to around the 1830's-1893. Percussion caps weren't used in the U.S. until around 1830. If it was converted from flint its anybody's guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.