1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help in identifying this pistol.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Larryco50, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Larryco50

Larryco50 New Member

When my father passed away I came into possession of this pistol. I have no idea of its history or anything else for that matter. I was told this forum might be the best place to get some information. I am told you guys can be very helpful.

Larry

Attached Files:

2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and Welcome Larry !

the pic's are a might smallish but it looks like a box lock weapon of about 1830's onward till about 1860 or so , but thats a guess based on the pic's

does it have a screw off barrel ? are there any markings? ( proof or makers marks)

do you have a better pic ? ( sorry but these are a tad small )

if it is a small box lock ( also known as Muff guns) get ready for a whole chain of jokes ..

the small box locks where called muff guns as they where often carried inside a muff ( fur tube for keeping hands warm ) and are fairly common still in collections
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

jack,
    I, for one and for a change, will make no mention of the alternate, descriptive term associated with that class of small percussion ignited firearm. This, of course, being a true test of personal will-power, shall, if successful, cause me a great deal of angst.

Larry, welcome to the forum - post some bigger pics, as Jack was alluding.
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

OMG, he said MUFF pistol. Jim, if I had said that would you be holding your tongue?:D
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Hawgy, old buddy,
    I'm trying to turn a new leaf and be more august and dignified - similar to the demeanor exhibited by the rest of youse dudes.
  6. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

The pics are a bit small--and size really matters when discussing muff pistols.
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

MUFF- I feel better now that I said it....it looks like the barrel may be in one piece,straight muzzle loader.
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Need better pics. it could be old. new or just fairly old.
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

MUFF GUN
    Dammit, you all made me say it.
  10. Larryco50

Larryco50 New Member

Thanks, I think. lol

I am sending six more pics that may tell each of you something more I hope.
    These pics are taken with a camera phone, I may have to get my wife to take some pics from her digital camera and transfer them to my computer.

Thanks guys,

Larry

Attached Files:

11. Larryco50

Larryco50 New Member

Two more pics!

Attached Files:

12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

With no scale, poor pictures and only that description, it is about impossible to determine what it is. (It looks too big to be a NO, I WON'T WRITE THOSE WORDS!!!). It could be a pocket pistol or a belt pistol.

Jim
  13. Larryco50

Larryco50 New Member

It is almost exactly 7" long if that helps.
  14. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

With all the stumbling about over the mere mention of a "muff gun" what, pray tell, would be the reaction if we talked about a beavertail stock?

BullShoot
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ok later than 1830's maybe a rebuild of a flint action to percussion , but unable to tell more , sorry