HELP!!! In need of 2 Frames!

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by AAmolina23, May 8, 2012.

1. AAmolina23

AAmolina23 New Member

Ok so I have every single part for a 92fs besides the frame and I have been searching for about 6 months for a place to get them does anyone know where someone machines them or a place to get a gram for a 92fs or even the pt99?? Thanks guys
  2. yellerdawg

yellerdawg Former Guest

You ask about acquiring the "frames", but these are the pistol or
    the serialized unit as produced and sold.

To acquire one is as buying a new pistol. Even if you search the online
    auctions or similar and look for damaged or otherwise useful pistols to
    acquire the frame, if the frame itself is useable, will still be about the same as
    acquiring a new pistol or useable weapon.

I am not up on the 92fs or similar, but have read on forums that some slides
    (fs) work with other models(frames) but some frames dont work with (fs) etc...

Why not obtain a 92fs in the regular (LEGAL) fashion as you should and
    consider what you have as a good parts reserve etc...

I'm just bothering to mention this or respond in case you simply do not
    know. The "frame" is the pistol....they can only be made or made available in proper fashion, ie: as a separate pistol. About every other part is
    readily available.

Or perhaps sell or trade in your parts ( to one who needs such) to go
    towards a pistol(s).

If you were doing this (legally of course) as per a 1911, it is "cloned" or
    massed produced to the effect you indeed could legally purchase a frame
    and build yourself, a good project. However, the 92fs (to my limited knowledge) is not so licensed...no such outlets for "cloned " frames"..etc..

Maybe somebody will have a source for you, I dont know, but you still will
    be purchasing a "firearm", serialized, when you do.

regards,
  3. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

As yellerdawg says, in legal terms, the frame is the gun. Therefore, a frame is not a spare part; it is a gun, in a sense, even if stripped.

For that reason, you don't usually see pistol frames alone being sold. The only exceptions I can think of are very popular guns, like the Colt 1911 or the K-frame S&W, where there are quite a few people who like to build custom guns from aftermarket parts. I think you can buy bare AR-15 rifle receivers for the same reason. I don't think the Beretta 92 is in that category, but I could be wrong, in which case I hope someone will speak up.

Otherwise all I can suggest is haunting the online firearms sales websites, and being prepared to wait a long time.
  4. RJay

RJay Active Member

You'll find very few S&W revolver frames for sale. There were folks who bought the parts kits when they were on the market ( maybe still are ) every thing but the frame. People picked these up with the ideal of finding a couple of frames and building a couple S&W on the cheap. They still have the parts kits in on their work bench but no guns. I think you will find the same result with the Beretta frames, ain't none be had
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Frames can sometimes be purchased, mainly from the manufacturer, but they cost almost as much as (sometimes more than) the pistol, and are, of course, subject to the same legal restrictions.

Jim
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

I didn't know that about S&W frames, RJay. I recently got rid of a bunch of gun magazines from 15-20 years ago, and there seemed to be numerous articles about PPC-style or other customized revolvers; I assumed the gunsmiths were getting bare frames somehow, not taking complete guns and replacing everythig but the frames. I should learn to assume less and ask more. Thanks!
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

On further checking, I can't find any manufacturer that will sell frames though I think they used to. Maybe it is part of the modern legal atmosphere. I can't find anyone selling M9 frames.

Jim