Help Interpreting H&R Serial Number

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by davegran, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Florida Guy

Florida Guy New Member

Just had to show ya'll my wife's beautiful H&R Model 999. Recently bought NIB and we have the box. Ventilated rib, gorgeous grips, etc. I have dubbed this perhaps the nicest looking .22 revolver H&R ever made. I was told it is an 1967.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Floridaguy

Pictures no workee!
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

DeltaNate,
    Thanks for your service!!! And thanks for the follow-up info.
    Your gun is a 3rd Model AUTOMATIC EJECTING 4th Variation (state name fulled spelled out) and was made between 1916 and 1924. With that serial number it is fairly low in the known range and probably made in 1917-18 time span.
    It was made to use SMOKELESS POWDER loads - made after 1905.
    Original issue has as standard: 3 1/4" barrel, Nickel plating, .32 S&W (short or long) x 6 or .38 S&W x 5, molded, black hard rubber grips. Options include: 2 1/2" (very rare), 4", 5", 6" barrels; blued finish; mother-of-pearl or checkered walnut grip panels, or extended/wrap around target grips in black hard rubber or checkered walnut.
    Any othe optional features add scarcity and collector value to the gun. From my purchasing and research, the 3rd Model is fairly well represented in today' market place. Top value in 100% - 98% finish in standard trim, will approach $275. Any optional feature will add 15% for blue finish, 25% for 4, 5 or 6" barrel, 75% for the 2 1/2" barrel. MOP panels add maybe 10%.

Here's a couple pics of nice examples from this variation - NOTE the dates are wrong as further research was done after the pics were taken and labeled.

IMG_1885.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  4. DeltaNate

DeltaNate New Member

Jim,
    Thank you so much for the info. The pistol is not in the best shape but she still works great. My friend got the pistol at a flea market for about $110. I will have to post some pictures because it has some REALY weird grips on it. I have always been a 1911 guy but, the top breaks have always peaked my interest. I would LOVE to have a Smith &Fleet Wesson 1869 Schofield. That is what started my top break love.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

DeltaNate,
    Awaiting your pics.
    You're welcome and thanks for thanking.
  6. ChevyGuy8395

ChevyGuy8395 New Member

Hi, Im new to the Forum but saw all the information on H&R revolvers and thought you guys could help.

I recently acquired a revolver from my great aunt's farm house.
    I don't know much about it and would like to know any and everything anyone can tell me. Pics below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

couldn't get the images to attach so just linked them. just right click and open url in new tab
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. snovvbrdr

snovvbrdr New Member

Jim, my wife has an oldish? H&R is says model 04.32.6SHOT but looks exactly like the one quoted except the grip, hers has the external hammer, conical hammer all the same placement of pins, but the grip has a target on top with checkered underneath and a flower? around the screw hole.... any ideas?

Very frustrated....

Pic avail if needed

8. losigkeit

losigkeit New Member

Hello,

I am so glad I came across this site because I believe I have a H&R Second Model Premier 3rd variation, and I was wondering when it might have been made. The serial is 282XX. Also, the hammer and trigger are not connected because a piece is broken. Anyone know where to find replacement parts or exactly what part this is? It looks like a talon.

Edit: The top of the barrel says PAT OCT 4 '87. MAY 14 & AUG 6 '89.

Thank you so much
    Last edited: May 13, 2012
  9. losigkeit

losigkeit New Member

I know this is an old topic, but does anyone know the answers to my questions?
  10. JIMV

JIMV New Member

I have a nice H&R .32 top break serial 4315 under the top strap. The top strap reads "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co Worcester Mass USA Pat Oct 4 1887 May 14 89 Feb 23 92"...Here is a photo...

[​IMG]

I have no idea as to its worth but I bought it for $75 and believe it shoots .32 S&W shorts in black powder.
  11. BobVa

BobVa New Member

Hello again Jim - hope all is well with you. Been a while since I posted as the old H&Rs are getting harder to find in my area, especially at a reasonable price.

Did manage to score another however, a 922, SN M81451, for $150. So, for any of you looking for these fine pistols, they are available just takes patience.

Collection is growing nicely up to 8 now.

Bob

Attached Files:

12. JIMV

JIMV New Member

Had a computer crash a few months ago and lost all my bookmarks. I am still having trouble finding old sites...
  13. NoseDaddy

NoseDaddy New Member

Thank you for answering my question (mostly) with your reply to Wartpath. I have a Model 949 Fortyniner that I bought in a pawn shop in the early '90s for $75. It was in excellent shape but I overlooked a small problem with the loading gate. When I got it home, I cleaned it of course and found that the spring on the loading gate detent was protruding a bit--- a few injudicious pokes and it (.077D x .230L) and the tiny ball flew off into the twilight zone. Of course, the loading gate would not stay closed so the pistol stayed in the safe waiting to be fixed until the recent Zimmerman idiocy motivated me to adopt a major maintenance/repair/re-familiarization mode for the post Zimmerman acquittal apocalypse. I ordered the parts from Numrich today and have spent a frustrating several hours trying to pin down a date of manufacture until I read your post. The serial # is HHxxxxx and by interpolating, I calculate the date as 1993! Is this correct?

I have another question. Bill Goforth's earlier posts indicate that he was working on an H&R book. Since he has apparently passed on, has anyone picked up the task to finish? The website still lists the book as coming. I have several H&Rs and would really like to buy more but there is very little info about them, even from 1871 and I would buy a copy if available. My Grandfather, who grew up here in SC during reconstruction had an H&R which he told me numerous times was the best pistol he had ever owned. The same American sub-culture that commits most of the armed, violent crime here now was also responsible for a huge (disproportional) part of it for the last 150 years so few white men in the south went unarmed in the first half of the last century. My Grandfather owned and carried a selection of pistols over his life.
  14. xpebrian@gmail.com

xpebrian@gmail.com New Member

have H&R arms company worchester mas.usa

safety hammer double auction

32.s.w.ctge

serial number is 48852 was looking for any info i can get on this gun
  15. xpebrian@gmail.com

xpebrian@gmail.com New Member

well as far s i can tell going by seral number and the caliber being displayed on the left side of the barel
    i have post 1904 .32 caliber smokless powder 6 shot solid frame revolver

that is all i can figure out could use any help on determing the year and any other info
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  16. ArgonWelding

ArgonWelding New Member

Hi all, I have been reading posts on here since before Bill Goforth's passing and was saddened to read about it. Like all of you, I too enjoyed his openess and expertise. I think he would've enjoyed figuring out my quandary. So here goes.....

Back in '06 I bought an old 5th wheel trailer from a friend. A mutual friend had passed and it was his. In '09 I decided to rid myself of the thing and scrapped it. During the dissasaembly of it I found an old beat up Victor. 38 and thought it was an old toy gun. It took all of about 3 seconds to realize it wasn't.

My buddy told me that Satch, our departed friend, "acquired it" from the front seat of a cop car in the bronx back in '65 when he was 15 years old. He said the last time he saw it, he was making special "tin foil" loads for Satch to shoot flies in the house. That was in '98 or there abouts. I love the story and doubt I'll ever part with it.

I did a little research on it and thought little more since. A couple of days ago I started researching it again and noticed it didn't match up with what is known. Maybe I am missing something. It has no company name, just the Victor 38 S&W CTCF on the top strap. It has a hand stamped,4 digit, serial # (7789) on the butt and under the homemade grip on the left side. It doesn't have a caliber marked on the barrel. Some of the internal parts have a 3 digit number stamped on them. I think they were to ID what gun they were made for since they are 789 and match the last 3 of the serial#. Up until 3 days ago I was guessing about 1915 for a manufaturing date. Now I'm not so sure.

I humbly ask you, o wise members of this forum, to look at the included pix and give your opinions.

P.S. As you can tell it's a shooter by it being loaded.

Attached Files:

17. ArgonWelding

ArgonWelding New Member

Also...... don't be thrown off by the odd looking cylinder pin. I made a new one the other day and it is of my own design and installed. The original pin was uniform in diameter and had 3 bands of knurling about .200" wide each to grip it by.
  18. Skippa01

Skippa01 New Member

Hi I'm new to this site. I recently acquired a h&r 6 shot revolver .32 caliber with serial #4565. It also has the single post latch. I would like to know how old and the model and appoximate worth. It is in fireable condition. Can I use modern ammo for it. Any help is appreciated. Thank you. I have pictures if needed.
  19. Kflanigan08

Kflanigan08 New Member

Hey everyone, Brand new to this site and loving the amount of information and education I am receiving.

I have a revolver that has been handed down to me by a family member and I'd like to know some more about it.

As far as I can tell it is a:
    hammerless break down .32 H&R Revolver
    with a 6 Digit Serial Number on the butt 490xxx
    .32 S&W CTGE. Stamped on the left side of the 3 inch barrel

I would really like to know more about when it was made and anything historically significant to this model.

Thanks all! I'll post some pictures when I can, but for now I hope this enough to get the ball rolling.
  20. firearms_rookie

firearms_rookie New Member

Hello Everyone;

Recently my father gave me a H&R revolver that has been in the family for some time. I've been reading all the threads posted here and they have been great help in narrowing down its model but I still have not seen an exact description of the model I own. It's stamped on the top with the Harrington and Richardson Arms Co. Worcester Massachusetts U.S.A. and on the left side with .38 S&W CTGE. It is a 5 cartridge, top break, hammer-less model. Its serial # is 179xxx so according to what I've read it should be from around 1915? Anyways, i'll try to post some pics but any information or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thankx in advance Felo

Attached Files: