help me build my AR-15

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by focusmaniaczx3, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

The flat top with M4 feed ramps are very popular options with AR buyers. The M4 feed ramps really only come into play in fully automatic weapons firing sustained bursts of mag. after mag. on full auto., but none the less they give the rifle a certain amount of known reliability even with semi-auto. firing. The majority of AR makers have gone to M4 feed ramps in one way or another.

The flat top configuration gives maximum flexibility in an AR weapon. You can add a carry handle and use it in the conventional manner or you can add a wide variety of optics and iron sight options in combination. I'm going with a quick dismount scope and fold-down back-up iron sights on my flat top. Most good scope mounts for the AR-15 can be mounted and dismounted without losing zero. ETA: The fold-down back-up sights can be deployed with a press of a botton and can then be used with the standard F-marked A2 front sights.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I take you have never shot one set up with 5.7x28. I shoot some practical combat (city/building format) and it is a very potent round at the range it is designed to be used at. I run against the PS90 guys with it. I find it quicker to aim and seems to have better ergonomics for me. Combine that with no spent brass to dance on and it is just a superb platform. I make no assertions that this round is any good past 75yds but up close it is deadly. On the course the longest shot is 25yds (same course used by the pistol guys). 50 rounds without a reload is enough to run the entire course without a reload. Currently running two rifles set up in 5.7 one with iron sights the other with a reflex red dot.

Ammo is easy to find but yeah it does run a bit more but still less than good quality 308.
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

Focus, what city are you near?
  4. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

Hickory.

I wont argue about that round since you did call it that ive never used it. To each his own. It just seems like an inferior round to me.

Thanks for the flat top info. I may go that route after all.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  5. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

just wanted to update you guys on my pursuit to build my first AR. i have my upper on order and am waiting to receive it. i have my lower on my wish list. im building an AR-10 first for .308 winchester. i am going to lob rounds down range with it and see if i can get the holes to touch at 500 yards. my reason is because i got to shoot a bad news sniper AR .338 lapua earlier this week and it was phenomenal. i had heard the specs of the gun and thought that maybe they were doctored and that it takes a very experienced shooter to do that well. welp i put 30 rounds down range with it total and i had touching bullet holes in the target at 500 yards. i would have shot further down range except that 500 yards was all that there was. im not a very good shot or at least i didnt think i was and i was doing that?! other than the ammo being so much i loved every second of it. only draw back is that the scope on that gun cost more than i will spend to build my entire AR-10 in .308.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'm still building a decent .338 here so enjoy yours there , look forward to your AR10 build , i love em ..
  7. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

How do you feed from and eject to the same mag? I want pictures of this and a video of it in operation. Cause I just don't believe it.
  8. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

I picked up a 338 fed AR-10 Armalite last year. Listed for 1900, i got it from local gun shop for 1650. Super heavy compared to stag 6.8, but we (family members) killed 3 moose, several caribou, and a couple bear with it over the last 6 months and happy enough with the gun for hunting within 500 yards. Gun dead on at 100 yards, one of the moose was 400 yards, aimed at backbone, hit in kill zone, so I figure it dropped 8-10 inches as a rough estimate with 210 nosler partitions. AR-10 has 21 inch barrel, but they are offering a shorter barrel, 18 inches; thinking about another purchase.

AIG has a nice AR-10 video, I think it's on the AR-15 dvd as an extra, but well worth getting, at least it was for me.

I'd like to get a 338 lapua myself, just don't know enough about what's the best way to go, so I keep using my 30-378 which I think is comparable.
  9. focusmaniaczx3

focusmaniaczx3 Member

well i want to keep you guys updated. the same place i "rented" the 338 from got another one in .308 with a very similar setup that they let me test out. the scope on the .338 cost over $1500 and was a leupold something or another. i dont know what the magnification was on that thing but it was up there. the .308 that i tested had some old bushnell 12x scope on it. i still made 3 inch groups which is pretty darn good considering that i could only just barely see the target at that range with the scope that was on it. im thinking the .308 will be plenty accurate enough. it will be plenty light on my wallet to shoot comparable to the .338 as well as easier on my shoulder. that damn lapua packs a wallop! in my honest opinion i believe that if both the .308 and .338 had the same scopes that i could shoot almost exactly the same with both because its aweful hard to hit a target that you can barely see.