Help me buy a Handgun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Bouac, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Bouac

Bouac New Member

I have come to a point in my lifewhere carrying a firearm is a must. I already hide two handguns in the house and was after any suggestions on firearm that is easy to conceal, reliable, High enough caliber to incompasitate my target with minimal shots fired and and preferably light weight.
    Any suggestions would be great thanks.

Bouac.
  2. Bouac, your question is almost like asking, "how high is up?" ;) The answer is virtually limitless. You will likely get a great many opinions on this question, most of which will be very reasonable ones. Here are my thoughts for what they're worth:

As to a caliber reasonable for self-defense, nothing less than a .38 Special +P, preferably larger (.40 S&W or .45 ACP). A 9mm, with good hollow-point ammo, would also be a reasonable compromise choice.

First, you need to decide whether you favor a revolver or an auto pistol for carry. Both have their advantages and their disadvantates. A revolver is generally more reliable and simpler to operate under stress, but you have only five or six rounds and it is slower to reload, even with a speedloader. An auto will normally give you more ammo capacity and is faster to reload if that should be needed, but it is more prone to malfunction and MUCH slower and harder to clear if it does malfunction.

Second, decide how large a weapon you can carry comfortably concealed. This is mostly determined by the kind of clothing you will be wearing when you need to carry, and to some extent, body size. Light clothing implies a smaller handgun as a general rule for proper concealment. A larger guy--all other factors being equal--can usually conceal a larger handgun more easily than a smaller guy. Don't underestimate the comfort factor! Remember, you will be lugging this object around day in and day out. If the weapon and holster rig are uncomfortable, the human tendency to leave it behind will always be there. Trust me, handguns CAN get heavy and annoying to carry. Along this same line of thought, don't compromise on two factors, the quality of the handgun and the quality of the leather to carry it in. There are times when "going cheap" makes sense, but keep in mind that your life might well depend on the reliability of that weapon and rig. That is not the place for compromise!

OK, once you have surveyed your personal preferences and needs under the circumstances you will carry, go to a good gun dealer and try out as many handguns as you can. Everybody is different. What fits my hand well might not fit yours. If the weapon does not feel "right" in your hand, it isn't!

Now, as for a few good choices . . . keep in mind that what I am suggesting are MY personal preferences and they may not be yours or those of others who will make suggestions. Generally speaking, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer to this question. Only what is right for YOU under YOUR circumstances.

Revolvers: Go with Smith and Wesson if you can possibly afford it. They're not cheap, but they ARE reliable, accurate, and built to take punishment. If you need something very small and light, I would go with a Smith Mod 637 in .38 Special +P. This is a snubbie (1.8 inch barrel) and is relatively hard to hit with past about 30 feet. Not because of the gun quality, but because of the short barrel and thus short sighting radius. Smith also makes some small revolvers in .357 magnum. Personally, I don't like the .357 because of its rather punishing recoil in a small, light revolver, but that is a decision only you can make for yourself. You might take a look at this link for a complete description of the Smith line: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&content=11001

Automatics: Now it really gets complicated because there are so very many excellent auto pistols available in so very many calibers. Personally, I like Glocks, but you may not. If you want an extremely reliable auto that is small, easy to conceal, but in a caliber that will get the job done, I do not hesitate to recommend the Glock 26 (9mm), 27 (.40 Smith and Wesson), or the 33 (.357 Sig). If you want something in .45 ACP, but a bit larger, I would go with the Glock 30 or 36. You can check out all the Glock handguns here: http://www.glock.com/

Many here will recommend the traditional 1911 pattern pistols in .45 ACP. If they ring your chimes, fine and good. They are excellent weapons, accurate and reliable, BUT, they are heavy and they are single action autos, which means you really need to carry them cocked and locked. Personally, I don't like that, and I definitely don't like their bulk and weight, not for a CCW weapon. For military or range use, they can't be beaten, however.

There are a vast number of other, high-quality auto pistol makers to choose from as well, all of whom make excellent pistols in calibers ranging from .380 to .45 ACP. Some, like Ruger, also make excellent revolvers. Here are a few links to get you started:

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/

http://www.berettausa.com/

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/

http://www.sigarms.com/Default.aspx

http://www.kahr.com/front.html

http://www.kimberamerica.com/

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/

http://www.taurususa.com/main/index.cfm

Hope this helps you at least a bit.
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

You didn't say it need to have one of them fumblesome safetys
    SpringField XD's, Glock model 30, Hk's
  4. boni

boni New Member

for fear of loss of life or limb?

what kind of target sir? enemy? what are your enemies capabilities? i think it would help to match his with yours sir, right?
    good day!
  5. charagrin

charagrin Former Guest

No offense Bouac but your post doesnt ring true to Me. You havent given enough info on why you need a gun. Where you are, So a proper choice can be made. Or really any info at all, You just go straight to asking the old hands of this forum for the smallest, most easily concealed weapon with a modicrum of power. You never even mentioned whether you went for a CCW, were thinking about it, Or have ever had any XP with handguns at all.
    Sounds like exactly the details a criminal would give. Im not saying you are, but give more detail.-Char
  6. travihanson

travihanson New Member

Alright...I haven't read the other posts accept yours just because of the fact that I just got home from working twelve hours, it's seven in the morning and I just need sleep......but anyway, I think that a good pistol for you would be a smith and wesson air-lite or weight, whatever, .357 would be your perfect carry pistol. If you want an auto that is light weight then I would suggest a small 1911, or a kahr mk40. You can either get the polymer frame or the steel frame. The difference is like four ounces. I have carried both without holsters and they disappear in your pocket. They are pricey though, so I would recommend a used one. They both run about $650 new. But you could probably find one used from someone that is sissified and don't like kick :p
  7. RMT

RMT New Member

A Glock 26 is the perfect carry gun. The only downside is that it is a bit wide for me, but the reliability and weight make it the best IMO.
  8. Armed Citizen

Armed Citizen New Member

Seems the others have good advice. 'Cept one small point. Which caliber has taken more lives in the USA? The small .22 rimfire.

Glock created a great firearm that will go bang even after getting dumped in a swamp. Some swear by Glock for reliability over safety.

[​IMG] click here [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bobcat .22LR carries 7+1 11.8oz unloaded

With the newer .22 frangible (breaks into 3 sections) this seems to fit your requirements.
    [​IMG]
    As always, practice - practice - and more practice.
  9. wallgunner

wallgunner New Member

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum, found it through my father, and can't get enough of it now. I can not get my carry concealed until April, but I'm looking for the right firearm now. I guess it comes down to what you can handle to practice with all the time. I'm leaning towards a revolver, especially the SP101. I found one with the Crimson Trace grips for about $600 new in box at a local shop. It has a great reputation, but it meets my requirements 1) powerful enough to defend myself and family if it ever comes to it, 2) concealable, 3) shootable with .38 or magnums for practice.
    I love Sigs, don't own one yet, but would consider it as a carry gun. I have a 1911, and your right, it would be heavy to carry. But I also have complete faith in it, and that too is a large factor in determining which gun to carry. If I don't pick up the Ruger, then ,most likely it will be my 1911. Look foward to learning from you all,
    Wallgunner
  10. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

Try a Glock 19. It holds 15 rounds and is compact enough to be easily carried concealed. I would make sure that it came with night sights too for late night "social events." If the 19 is too big Glock makes a more compact version of that 9 mm gun that you might want to consider as well.
  11. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson New Member

Like the gentleman before, I am rather suspicious as to your brevity, however, if what you say is in earnest...then I would follow up your post with some additional clarifying info (i.e. what is your body size, what environment is your usual habitat, are you going to be on your feet often or sitting in a chair all day, and are you eligible for a CCW?).

Do you want to wear it on your belt or on your ankle? Personally, I would not advise carrying in a shoulder rig, they have been known to create dangerous situations while drawing a handgun from its holster. There are too many directions to look into, with many variables, when considering what's the best for a CCW. In order for the more informed to assist you with your decision, you need to be willing to offer up more info. Otherwise prepare to be overwhelmed or intimidated!:eek:
  12. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

After having gone thru 1911's, Glocks, XD/XDm's, CZ's I have finally come to the SIG P239 in 40 S&W. It has been like an awakening and is a most amazing fitting and accurate gun after adding Houge wrap around grips.
  13. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

Bouac must not have liked what he heard, he never came back.
  14. shinerjohn

shinerjohn New Member

It appears the thread started in June 2007. It's the only post he made.
  15. army mp

army mp New Member

These type post always remind me of my wife and buying her a new car. It always starts the same way. (help me buy a new Car ) then we get to the Dealer , and she gets what she wants any way.
  16. Just One Shot

Just One Shot New Member

Easy answer....

XD .40 Sub Compact!

At least that was my choice.

:D

I like the Xd lineup because they are relatively inexpensive compared to the Glocks and the Sigs yet they are a quality gun for the money.

The grip angle is perfect for me, the trigger is light and smooth as butter. The sub Compact is small enough and light enough that it's easily concealable.

In reality, you need to go out and find a range that rents handguns and fire some for yourself.

Nothing beats getting your hands on the ones you are considering and trying them out.

Good luck with your search!