Help me choose 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by guns, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

For me it's the Taurus PT 24/7 Pro DS . This 9mm is the most accurate auto I have ever owned. I used it to get my CCW and I shot a perfect score with it.
    Just a thought !
  2. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Chosing a 9mm

I need help deciding on a 9mm pistol. The gun would be used for home defense and occasional range firing. I own a .38 revolver, but I can not get the proper ammo for it for home defense (don't want to shoot through the neighbors walls). I decided on a 9mm because of the relatively low cost of ammo.

I don't have a very large budget to work with, because my better half keeps track of the finances.

I have narrowed my search down to pistols, the S&W VE9, and the Ruger P95. The only thing negative I have heard about the VE9 is the heavy trigger pull, so I want to hear from people that have actually shot this weapon. I'm use to shooting an old Iver Johnson .38 revolver in double action mode, so I cannot imagine the VE9 being any worse than that.

I haven't heard much about the Ruger P95, good or bad. I like the fact that the mag release and decoocker on the P95 works for both right and left handers, since my wife is left handed. I have handled both of the pistols, and I'm leaning toward the VE9, because the grip feels better in my hand, and the Ruger just feels a little balky to me.

What do you think guys and gals?

Thanks!
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  3. larryg

larryg New Member

Re: Chosing a 9mm

I have looked at both the S&W Sigma (in .40) and the Ruger P95 which I purchased. In general the Ruger seems to receive more positive comments then the Sigma series. My primary reason for the Ruger over the S&W is the S&W is DAO and the Ruger is traditional SA/DA so I can relatively safely keep one in the pipe with it de-cocked the 1st shot would be DA then the rest SA.

The Ruger seems to have a long trigger pull in SA mode but the reset is fairly short so it is not a big deal to me and may even be a good idea as I have apparently snagged the hammer before and cocked it while carrying.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

5. gdlindy

gdlindy New Member

I would suggest getting a firearm that your wife can handle pretty easy.
    You can buy a gently used Glock 19 for around $400 or even less, comes with a 15 or 19 round magazine, (Been a few years since I taught the 19), they are designed for smaller hands and the internal safety is on the trigger, point and shoot. Magazine release is on the left side.
    Other inexpensive and small frame pistols is the EAA compact witness. You can get these for around $350-$375 used.

Ammo:
    Depends on the state you live in but you can buy home defense ammunition that is "frangible."

If you practice with the standard 115 grain ball ammo, you will have no issues with the frangible. it is also a "green" ammo. So if you do shoot it at the range their is no lead to worry about.

Like I said, something that fits your wifes hand and she can maneuver. Go to a decent sized gun store and they will let you handle em. If you have a store with an indoor range, you may even be able to test drive your next firearm before buying.

If you do buy used, go through a gun dealer that checks out their weapons (gunsmith on site) before they sell them to the public. www.jgsales.com is a good one online and they can ship to your local FFL. (I do not work for them, I just have bought several good firearms from them).

Either way, what is comfortable and easy to operate is whats important.

FYI: Think, at 2 am, half asleep and I need to reach for the phone and my firearm at the same time, can I do this? How hard to manipulate and control the weapon? Jam issues?

Just my suggestion, good luck and have fun looking for your next firearm.
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I agree with this guy. Whatever is comfortable and easiest to operate.

The Glock 26 might be another one if the 19 is too big. The 26 is just the sub-compact one.
  7. Rocketman1

I fired my brother-in-laws Glock 19 a few weeks ago, and I really liked it compared to all the others we fired that day. My wife says that new is out of the question at $500+, and I have not found a used one in my area. I have looked at the Glock 26, and I didn't like the small grip, so I have not been looking at the subcompacts. (Although the mag extention may work.)

I have never heard of EAA, so I will have to give those a look. Finding a gun that my wife and I both like may be kind of hard, my hands are big and her's are small. (If I get what is comfortable for me, then maybe she will have to get her own gun, and then I end up with two. Ha! Ha!.)

I have ran lots of those 2 am senarios through my head, and that is why I was looking at the S&W VE9. Its a simple gun with no safety to fuble with. I can see myself at 2 am pointing the gun at a bad guy and forgeting that the safety is on. If one were nervous in a breakin situation, that DAO trigger could also prevent an accidental discharge.

Thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
  8. Rocketman1

9. guns

guns New Member

which polymer 9mm to buy?

narrowed it down to..
    Glock 19
    SIG 2022
    SIG sigpro 2009

which would you choose, and why? thanks..
  10. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Re: which polymer 9mm to buy?

Hi! Among the 3 I shot the Glock. It´s a good gun. I´d buy it. ;)
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Glock 19. Good gun for what you pay.
  12. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Why have you limited yourself to plastic guns?

The most gun for the least money has to be a all metal CZ, like the CZ75B, in either 9mm or 40S&W. That gun your grandkid's grand kids will be able to shoot whereas anything plastic eventually gets so brittle it breaks, especially with the impact loading guns put into their frames.

LDBennett
  13. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Any reason you are not considering a Beretta 92, or even a PX4? I like Ber's over Ruger in semi autos.

The Glock would be a good reliable choice, but very diff from the Ruger P or the 92.

The Beretta has SA/DA trigger, along with a decock/firing pin block safety. For nightstand use, you can leave a round chambered, decocked, and shoot that first round like a revolver, but with safety on, it is about as safe as they come.

The PX4's have the same features, but with a poly frame.

Just another choice to put in the mix.
  14. larryg

larryg New Member

Rocketman, Yes I have shoot the Sigma .40, the local range rents it. I had no issues with it. One thing I really liked on the Sigma is the magazine had tabs so you can slide it down as you load it. My wife did have a couple FTE on the Sigma but not on the Ruger.
    My 2 main reasons I bought the Ruger is the SA after 1st shoot with safety of DA for the 1st and the widespread negative opinions on the forums, I suspect most of these are from the older non 'E' version though.
    I am far from a expert and have only shoot a handful of pistols and never any higher end ones.
  15. army mp

army mp Member

A couple options I will throw out. Guns & Ammo has a very good article on the Ruger SR-9 and SR-9 C. The C is new it’s the compact version of the SR-9. So it might be a better fit for your wife. And also if you decided to carry. It would be a pretty decent CCW gun. I have 5 Ruger hand guns and a Ruger rifle. for the money they are hard to beat.
  16. Rocketman1

larryg,

I looked at the Sigma 9mm at the gun store again and they let me dry fire it. Will dry firing be the same trigger pull as actual firing? If it is, then I have no issues at all with the Sigma's trigger pull. Either my trigger finger is strong or everyone that says bad things about the Sigma's hard trigger pull are a bunch of whimps.

I looked at both the Sigma VE and the Ruger again and the Sigma still feels a little better in my hand than the Ruger. If I can get over this trigger scare, then I will probably be purchasing the Sigma, if not than it will be the Ruger.
  17. larryg

larryg New Member

Trigger pull should be the same dry or live firing the Sigma, for the Ruger you need to manually cock it to try SA mode as the slide would normally cock it
  18. Rocketman1

Hi Larry,

Good thats what I thought, but just wanted to make sure.
    The trigger pull on the Sigma is nothing as far as I'm concerned.
    It is more than DA/SA's that I have fired, but I don't see a whole lot a difference.
    Maybe all the negative talk about the heavy trigger is from the Glock owners.

Thanks!
  19. Rocketman1

Army MP,

I noticed that my local gun dealer has the SR9 for $399 and the SR9C for $419. I was also looking at the Springfield XD for $425, which is what I wanted, but the wife said no to $100 to $125 more. She's the boss, and if she's not happy then I never will be.

For the price I would take the XD over the SR9, mainly because my brother-in-law has an XD .40, that I fell in love with, so I'm sure I would like the 9mm as well.

Thanks!
  20. cluznar

cluznar Former Guest

Ruger SR9c