Help me chose a self/home defence gun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Desertice, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Desertice

Desertice New Member

First of all; I would like to greet everyone here.

I live around Chicago, IL. I have a wife and 3 kids. Although the area I am in is pretty safe, but I recently started to hear some theft stories here and there... I even heard about some home intrusion in the neighborhood.....
    so, I started considering buying a gun in order to defend my family and myself in case if i have to.
    I do not have a gun at this time, but I do have medium experience in guns (I am a veteran: was an Engineer at the airforce and received basic military training multiple times).

previously (long time ago), I owned a 9mm Browning, a .38 special S&W, and a 9mm Beretta ().

and now i am trying to get back and get one gun which I will use for defense, and for training/practice as well.

here is my criteria (not ordered):
    1. preferably brand new
    2. less than $500
    3. preferably, US Made
    4. preferably, stainless steel completely (i don't like the 2-tone ones)
    5. semi-auto (not big fan of revolvers, but open to changing my mind)
    6. preferably, capacity of 13+ rounds
    7. reliable, and safe to store (remember: i have kids at home)
    8. accurate
    9. preferably, 9mm

is that difficult to find?
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, since you only stated "preferably 9mm"; I will give you my opinion on what my choice would be for the situation you have described.

12Ga without a doubt. Mossberg 500 series are a good value and Shotguns are near ideal for home defense.
  3. Desertice

Desertice New Member

Re: Help me chose a self/home defense gun

Thank you Woolleyworm for your reply.
    I did consider a shotgun, but i am hesitating for 3 reasons:
    1. I am afraid it will damage the house if I shoot it a couple of times inside.. :)
    2. big and difficult to handle inside a small hose like mine
    3. with a handgun, i can take it to the range and have some fun shooting targets/practicing

it seems that i will have to have both..... :D

am I making sense?
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

EAA witness match stainless in 9mm and has a kit that can make it .45 ACP or .22lr

cheers

i have a two tone ( also .40 but each to their own )
    just on 5000 rnds through it ,2000 through the .22 kit and it runs like a dream

and below mine is the stainless

seen em online for $525 in the nice kit box

only thing is toss the grips and get woodnut here to make you some nice hardwood ones ...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What seems to fit your requirements best is the Beretta 92 Inox. I don't think it's gonna be 500 or less, though.
  6. Desertice

Desertice New Member

Thank you jack404... this looks a good choice, and yes I do agree a hardwood grip will look perfect on all-steel guns... :)
  7. Desertice

Desertice New Member

Thank you Alpo,,, this Beretta looks perfect, but it is expensive for me... :(
  8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Desertice Dicounting how pretty a handgun is and depending on if your your wife and kids my need to defend your home, someone other than you may need to use a firearm. You really need something that has no thought given for how nice it looks. You need something that can do the job and stop a BG in the hands of a lady or teen ager while daddy is away from the house. Guess you know a 9mm fired in your house could end up in a nieghbors house. That round is one of the best at passing thru walls even with hp ammo. Not so with a ,223 or 20ga shotgun. 223/5.56 rounds tend to tumble quickly in sheet rock and break apart even with 55gr fmj. Shotgun shells can be bought in a wide choice of shot size from # 4 to B load used for long distance on ducks or turkey up to 2 or 3 buck and can do some serious damage but also tend to loss energy quicker than a single 9mm. Whats better a small hole threw many walls with a clean miss or even a partical hit from a shot gun and posible BG stoppage with that bad shot in the less than skilled hands and some sheet rock patching but stopping a BG. Look at a Mossberg bantam or super bantam "adjustable stock lenght" 20ga with the shorter stock that ladies and teens can use and one that you can still deal with smartly with a 18.5" barrel to be a defensive house gun. Price can be under 300 dollars and easier for non-gun people to learn to use .

Then you can look for a handgun for you to carry and that could be as cost effective as a KT p-11 for dollar wise buyer with 10 roundmag or 12 round and will use a S&W 59 mag for a 15round backup. All for 250 bucks LGS priced and 15 oz empty weight.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12 gauge (wifes) $300.00 Loaded with #5 then #4 then 00 buck. Best home defense gun around. IMHO.

Attached Files:

10. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    First off, Welcome to the forum!

Remember that a gun is the last resort in home defence! Home defense should start outside the home, and work inward. Cameras, motion detection lights, alarms on doors, and windows. Strong locks, and re-enforced hinges on the doors, and windows. A dog in the house is good too, if you don't already have a dog. The next thing is a plan! What should everyone be doing in the event of a break in? Plan it out, practice that plan. Get some help from someone that is both local, and knowledgable in home defence to help you. Once you have done as much as you can in fortifying your home then get that gun! Again, try to get some local help with this. I personally like the 12ga shotgun for home defence, but a pistol will work. I have a CCW, and am armed at all times. First thing I do in the mornings is to pick up my .45, and a spare mag, it goes with me everywhere I go. Watching TV, or working in the yard, I will have a gun on me.
  11. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

I know you said you don't like revolvers. But, look at the Judge or Governor. If you use the .410 PDX Defender rounds, they do there job and won't destroy the house. You get the size of a handgun and the devastation of a shotgun. This is probably the best option for home defense on the market today. A shotgun has many great features for home defense, but the barrel length is a big con. The mere racking of a 12 guage is usually a pretty good deterent. But, not everyone is going to run just from the sound. A shotgun's length may make it hard for you to maneuver around the house. Also, your wife may not want to use a shotgun due to the recoil.
  12. Desertice

Desertice New Member

Many thanks to everyone... this a great forum with great people.
    I think hardluk1 raised an important point: a gun's bullet will penetrate to the neighbor's house... that is very true given that my area is a little crowded with many non-brick close-by houses.... I don't want to end up harming my peaceful neighbors or damaging their property... it looks like a shotgun could be more suitable and less-penetrating ... I do understand its drawbacks especially the ones related to the size, storage, and inside damage it might cause... but I would rather cause damage inside my place and not accidentally shoot the neighbor's cow ~:) (jk...; my neighbors don't have cows :) )
  13. Desertice

Desertice New Member

Thanks for the advice...
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Keep the Bad Guys out of your house, and you won't have to wory about shooting thru the walls!
  15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

1911 Springfield for just over $500 and in stainless and in 9mm in different models.
    Good home/self defence and range time as well?
    And welcome to the Forums!