Help me chose a self/home defence gun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Desertice, Aug 30, 2012.

1. gun runner

gun runner Former Guest

I would get a Springfield M1A1 .308 . lots of stopping power and you get about a 10+1 capacity but also a great choice would be like the other member advised with the 12 gauge with buckshot option. If I were you I would rather just buy one centerfire rifle, one 12 gauge pump shotgun, and one handgun. Good Luck and I hope everything works out for ya.

Also welcome to the forum!
  2. savage170

savage170 Member

Sounds like a Ruger P94 fits your criteria American made all stainless steel 15 rds under 500.00 hardest will be finding a new in the box one as the later ones use the poly frame
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

Great advice Carver, I agree completely. Many small things such as locking windows/doors, using lights, motion lights, cameras (game cameras are great for this too) and awareness, etc will get you about 99% of the way. The firearm will be to take care of the determined or unexpected 1%

For the home my recommendation is something like a Mossberg 590, 20" barrel and 8 +1 capacity, hard to beat, especially with a tac light/surefire. But assuming you want something that you can have on you all the time, you can't go wrong with a good 1911 or a glock even. Either is at the upper end of your price but anything will be. Don't forget you need ammmo, magazines, holster, mag holders, cleaning kit, etc. when you are factoring true cost.

XD's, M&P's, Glock are the mainstay polymers out there these days and a good place to start. Very simple to use and easy to upgrade/modify as needed. But I love a good 1911, you will likely need to spend a bit more for one of those though, won't regret it either.

Given your location, a rifle is not what you should be using if you had a choice due to penetration. 7.62 and many others will go through entire houses/buildings and cars. Shotgun with #4 buck, #1 buck or OO buck is a good load and won't overpenetrate too bad.
  4. Desertice

Desertice New Member

5. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Chicago gun owner :eek:. I really like the EAA witness that Jack posted. It has a nice feel and large capacity.
  6. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

7. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

I think any variation of the Mossberg 500/590 platform is ideal. I use #4 buckshot as it still packs a wallop and rarely over-penetrates. In home defense (IMHO) a handgun should be the second line of firearms defense after the shotgun. Get some training on using a shotgun in close quarters. Nothing scares a baddie more than the sound of a 12 gauge being racked, except maybe for the sound of it being fired.

If you have your heart set on a handgun, consider if you are going to carry it or not. If you're not going to carry, then size and concealability is less of an issue. There are a number of good 9mm (and .40s and .45s) handguns under $500.
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thats a good one but too pricey. You can buy basic models for much less and then you can add stuff later much cheaper. Here is what we use for home protection at night. On my side of the bed is a Mossy 500 that added an adjustable stock and ammo carrier. Very tacticool. My wifes is the stock Crusier that I showed before. I also keep a Sig P-220 .45 with Crimson trace laser grips and a light on the headboard. My wife keeps her S&W M&P 9mm on her side. We never go to bed mad.:D Also is a pic of how we attach the Mossy's to the bed. They just slide between the mattress and box springs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  9. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Active Member

Just my humble option . I just purchased one of these for $420 . It fits 8 out of your ten requirements , Stoeger Cougar 9mm 15 round capacity , simple stupid to take down, very reliable and it's all beretta . Double action/ single and a decocker. Now it's produced in turkey but on Beretta machines ...long story .

If you had a beretta before you would probabley like this one too. I had a 92f before also .

Mark -

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9LwFCBYyLU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The good news the new 9mm has an accessory rail on the bottom too :)
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  10. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I have to go with a 20 ga mossberg pistol grip too. I have a 12 ga with flashlight mounted and find it does all you need and the side of bed mount is perfect!
  11. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

My recommendation if you go shotgun is to have a buttstock rather than just a pistol grip. Gives you so much more control it's not even funny, really helps you point the gun. It may not seem like you need it in close quarters but it also serves as an impact weapon for last resort or less than lethal.

Mossberg 500 is good but you cannot upgrade the mag tube, 590 is ideal I think (very noisy action which is good!) with a light.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Less than 500 bucks....

Attached Files:

13. Desertice

Desertice New Member

Great .....

it seems that I will have to get both: a 12 ga Mossberg and a pistol. I will start by the shotgun first,,, i am doing some research and i found that some has a built in light ,,,, is that efficient and sufficient? does it jusstify the cost increase?
    how about the after market lights?
    also, I think i like the idea of having a pistol grip with adjustable tactical stock ... i saw that on a mossberg 500A1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOG6LimiUL0&feature=related

it also has a heat shield which is nice to have. the reviewer said it came with all these accessories out of the box without modification... but i cannot find it like this online.... i even searched mossberg catalog and i could not find it.... any idea? price?

another idea is to get the mossy combo,,, so i can switch barrels if i ever decided to go hunting... here is one that looks good,,, any comments/ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0A7ktrnXVc
  14. UncleDannie

UncleDannie New Member

Or, you could split the difference. Buy a Taurus Judge. Shoots a .410 shotshell inside the house, or it will shoot a .45 cal Long Colt outside the house. One of my nephews bought the 2", non-mag pistol and carries it as a Concealed Carry Weapon.
  15. Desertice

Desertice New Member

this thing is pretty ..... I used one of these long time ago for bird hunting :)