Help me chose a self/home defence gun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Desertice, Aug 30, 2012.

1. jbrescue

jbrescue New Member

2. MadScotsMan

MadScotsMan Member

I think any variation of the Mossberg 500/590 platform is ideal. I use #4 buckshot as it still packs a wallop and rarely over-penetrates. In home defense (IMHO) a handgun should be the second line of firearms defense after the shotgun. Get some training on using a shotgun in close quarters. Nothing scares a baddie more than the sound of a 12 gauge being racked, except maybe for the sound of it being fired.

If you have your heart set on a handgun, consider if you are going to carry it or not. If you're not going to carry, then size and concealability is less of an issue. There are a number of good 9mm (and .40s and .45s) handguns under $500.
  3. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Thats a good one but too pricey. You can buy basic models for much less and then you can add stuff later much cheaper. Here is what we use for home protection at night. On my side of the bed is a Mossy 500 that added an adjustable stock and ammo carrier. Very tacticool. My wifes is the stock Crusier that I showed before. I also keep a Sig P-220 .45 with Crimson trace laser grips and a light on the headboard. My wife keeps her S&W M&P 9mm on her side. We never go to bed mad.:D Also is a pic of how we attach the Mossy's to the bed. They just slide between the mattress and box springs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  4. cheesewiz

cheesewiz Member

Just my humble option . I just purchased one of these for $420 . It fits 8 out of your ten requirements , Stoeger Cougar 9mm 15 round capacity , simple stupid to take down, very reliable and it's all beretta . Double action/ single and a decocker. Now it's produced in turkey but on Beretta machines ...long story .

If you had a beretta before you would probabley like this one too. I had a 92f before also .

Mark -

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9LwFCBYyLU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The good news the new 9mm has an accessory rail on the bottom too :)
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  5. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

I have to go with a 20 ga mossberg pistol grip too. I have a 12 ga with flashlight mounted and find it does all you need and the side of bed mount is perfect!
  6. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

My recommendation if you go shotgun is to have a buttstock rather than just a pistol grip. Gives you so much more control it's not even funny, really helps you point the gun. It may not seem like you need it in close quarters but it also serves as an impact weapon for last resort or less than lethal.

Mossberg 500 is good but you cannot upgrade the mag tube, 590 is ideal I think (very noisy action which is good!) with a light.
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Less than 500 bucks....

Attached Files:

8. Desertice

Desertice New Member

Great .....

it seems that I will have to get both: a 12 ga Mossberg and a pistol. I will start by the shotgun first,,, i am doing some research and i found that some has a built in light ,,,, is that efficient and sufficient? does it jusstify the cost increase?
    how about the after market lights?
    also, I think i like the idea of having a pistol grip with adjustable tactical stock ... i saw that on a mossberg 500A1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOG6LimiUL0&feature=related

it also has a heat shield which is nice to have. the reviewer said it came with all these accessories out of the box without modification... but i cannot find it like this online.... i even searched mossberg catalog and i could not find it.... any idea? price?

another idea is to get the mossy combo,,, so i can switch barrels if i ever decided to go hunting... here is one that looks good,,, any comments/ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0A7ktrnXVc
  9. UncleDannie

UncleDannie New Member

Or, you could split the difference. Buy a Taurus Judge. Shoots a .410 shotshell inside the house, or it will shoot a .45 cal Long Colt outside the house. One of my nephews bought the 2", non-mag pistol and carries it as a Concealed Carry Weapon.
  10. Desertice

Desertice New Member

this thing is pretty ..... I used one of these long time ago for bird hunting :)
  11. Desertice

Desertice New Member

you are absolutely right,,, pistol grip alone is not the best idea.... perhaps tactical grip ? what do u mean by upgrading the mag tube? any thoughts for lights?
  12. Desertice

Desertice New Member

beautiful,,,,, i like the bed mount,,,, but i am afraid that my kids will reach for and play with the gun... :mad:
  13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

I forgot that there are still kids out there. Mine have thankfully left the nest.;)
  14. Desertice

Desertice New Member

Great .....

it seems that I will have to get both: a 12 ga Mossberg and a pistol. I will start by the shotgun first,,, i am doing some research and i found that some has a built in light ,,,, is that efficient and sufficient? does it jusstify the cost increase?
    how about the after market lights?
    also, I think i like the idea of having a pistol grip with adjustable tactical stock ... i saw that on a mossberg 500A1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOG6L...eature=related

it also has a heat shield which is nice to have. the reviewer said it came with all these accessories out of the box without modification... but i cannot find it like this online.... i even searched mossberg catalog and i could not find it.... any idea? price?

another idea is to get the mossy combo,,, so i can switch barrels if i ever decided to go hunting... here is one that looks good,,, any comments/ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0A7ktrnXVc
    Desertice is offline Reply With Quote
  15. Recon 173

Recon 173 Member

I would agree with Savage 170. Get a Ruger 9 mm pistol and go practice with it. They are good, sturdy guns that will last you for a lifetime.
  16. 01brian

01brian New Member

A light for the defense shotgun and pistol is a must. I don't know about the built in one. I would not mix home defense and sport. I would have one for each purpose...but that's just me. My HD stuff is loaded and ready for HD. I don't like to take the time to change it over to sport...and it gives me a reason to continue collecting new stuff.
  17. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

the 500 magazine cap is solid so tube capacity ends there; the 590 is similar to an 870 or others where the lug on the barrel is large enough for an extension tube to add capacity. For instance, my 870 is 4 +1 stock, I put a 5 round extension on it so now it's 9 +1. The 590 comes standard with a 20" barrel which is plenty short enough yet holds 8 +1 and you could add to that if desired.

Any surefire style light (2 x 123A batteries) will be excellent, go for at least 60 lumens, 80 or 120 is better. The G2 from Surfire is what I use on most of my stuff because they're cheap yet work very well and are of great quality and last a long time.

there are also pump replacement gizmos with built in light attached with buttons in the pump itself, replaces the stock one. they're normally around $275, for less than $75 you can do the same thing with a surefire add on. I use the G2 with a remote cord/momentary switch velcroed to the pump.

I'll take a pic of mine and post it up.
  18. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

OK, found a bunch of pics of both my newer 870 with a Choate 5 rd extended tube and the 590. 590 has sidesaddle, buttstock shellholder and slings plus tac light, and a mag tube follower upgrade. Came with the heat shield too, most 590's come with them.

if you're wanting an AR style stock, go with an 870, with the mossberg's tang safety, it will be tough to manipulate, the 870 has a crossbolt safety that is much easier to work with a pistol grip style buttstock.

my tac light:
    [​IMG]

and a full photo of two of my shotty's:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

don't forget to choose good ammo too, I would recommend something like Federal 12g 2 3/4" shells in #4 buck, won't over penetrate too bad and has either 27 or 34 pellets

don't use birdshot either, I hate when I hear stories like 'homeowner shoots intruder twice with 12 gauge, then bad guy left...' You tag someone with buckshot a few times at in your home distances, they're not leaving until the coroner shows up.
  19. lilmule

lilmule New Member

Disagree buckshot will go thru the average home wall,maybe not several but one.
    Even if the bad guy left threat stopped,more stoppable than number 8 0r 9 and still less penetrating is something like number 4-6 shot.If it can take a chestfull of number 4 at eight to ten ft,glad it got away what ever it was.
    hopkins and allen 20 in double barrel 12 gauge
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  20. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

it will penetrate but will have next to no energy afterwards. It loses significant energy even through a car window for example. but yeah, anything you launch at extreme close range will do the job but if a 20yd shot was needed for some reason, #4 is quite good. BB shot sizes would be OK if worried about over penetration.

But buckshot wins for me if I had to choose, I want to put the badguy down for good.

or do cut shells! hahaa, that would put the hurtlocker on someone, getting a 'slug' of birdshot that explodes on contact, ouch.