Help me chose a self/home defence gun

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Desertice, Aug 30, 2012.

1. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Those pistol grip shotguns may not be legal in Illinois. Check first. For your price range the Taurus Judge is a perfect choice even though it not a semi auto. You can practice with it using .45 ACP at a range and load it with 410 for the home. It really is one of the finest home defense pistols.

If you go with a semi auto you may as well go with a 1911 - enough safeties on it to make it more difficult for kids to have an accident. Enough stopping power to take any intruder down. You don't have to buy one new to get one for 500 or less in excellent condition and the 1911's by Rock Island though made in the Phillipines are excellent pistols and accept pretty much all 1911 standard parts also.

Just my humble opinion.
  2. 44 Special

44 Special New Member

A shotgun for home defense sounds good,but,is not always the perfect choice in every home.One has to consider that pellets will likely hit walls,along with an intruder.If you lived in a rural area with no homes close by,then a shotgun is a good choice.

Regardless of what handgun you choose,after purchase,practice,practice,practice !To meet your criteria,I believe someone mentioned the Beretta Cougar,which would fit into the criteria you asked for.Ruger also makes several 9mm pistols in the price range,and requirements you are looking for.

Also,whatever you purchase,practice night time firing,as you will need to get used to the flash report of your weapon in night conditions,and see where you are grouping in a night time shooting situation.

I personally like a .45acp auto,or one of my.44special revolvers,as they are both accurate,controllable,and have a low flash report in day,or night scenarios.With one ,or two well placed shots with the.45acp,or .44 special,you won't need the high capacity,nor the bright flash that come with high pressure calibers.The 9mm with today's ammo is a good caliber,along with the .357 magnum revolver.However,I consider them daytime defense cartridges.Just a thought to consider ? Standard pressure 9mm ammo would be preferable at night.Once you have shot at night,you will see what I'm talking about !

However,I think a person should always choose the caliber that they can hit their target with consistently.That is why we have so many calibers to choose from !
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

just to throw some food for thought out there on the subject of penetration, a .24" pellet (or 27 of them) moving at 1350 fps will penetrate less than a 115gn 9mm will at 1350 fps. smaller buckshot is about as good as it gets, it's devastation comes from the sheer volume of projectiles, not the velocity so much. most pistol calibers deliver around 300 foot pounds where many shotgun loads come in around 2-3000 ft lbs.

about 80% of all people shot with a handgun survive, something to think about.

.45 ACP would be an ideal cartridge as it will not penetrate very much but has considerable power still. big and slow.
  4. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am also from the Chicago area. NW burbs. Don't get the Mossberg with the pistol grip. You said you wanted to go to the range with it. Get the Mossberg 500 with the short 20' and 28' barrel's. You can find trap & skeet places to shoot this with the 28' barrel and use the 20' for home defense.

Cabela's has it on sale right now for $399. It's like buying two guns for the price of one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  5. rmorgan9718

rmorgan9718 New Member

totally agree with GVW3 - 20ga, short 20" barrel, use #4 to 1B, and as I was once advised by a LEO, "It's much better if there is only one person to tell me happened."
  6. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Re: Help me chose a self/home defense gun

Some sense However-a 18 inch barrel on a mossberg 12 gauge- use low recoil law enforcement loads -Chicago has some nasty gun laws on excesive force- use Rubber bullets. Make sure it is a PUMP shotgun (they don't jam).

You hit a dude with two rounds of 12 gauge rubber riot rounds well he ain't getting up for a bit.

I would keep a couple of 00 buck and a slug round or two in my pocket (these rounds can be purchased where they won't go THRU the bad guy and into a family member on the other side of the wall)

Besides the Klack Klack of a 12 gauge is rather scary to a bad guy.
    Oh If Ill allows it pull the 3rd limiter from the loading tube this gives you 5 rounds.
  7. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

That is a nice piece