1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help me Decide!!!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by polishshooter, Mar 11, 2006.

?

Which way should I finish the project???? And WHY???

1. Traditonal Mount, with traditional Scope- Make it a HUNTING rifle that you will USE.

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. "Scout" carbine all the way! Make Jeff Cooper proud!!!

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm conflicted...

I started my M44 project intending to have it end up like this...
    (scroll towards the bottom, the finished rifle picture is there, figure 42...)

http://www.surplusrifle.com/carbinenagant/oddsandends3/index.asp

But now I'm almost finished, have it reblued, and even test fired it today, (with the stock bolt, I have the bent one on order) and no sights...but now is decision time....

It is SWEET, and also took a stripper clip like butter...(not EVERY MN does...)

If I go the "normal" route, I give up using strippers...if I go the 'Scout look" (which I like the looks of TOO,) I keep the strippers, but have to get used to the LER scope...

Here is the finished product of another guys "Scout..." "the Pics at the top...

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/mosinscoutrifle/index.asp

So I'll take a poll...

Help me decide! I have a big gun show next weekend where I will buy the mount and scope, so I need to know by then!
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  2. Just my $.02 worth Polish, but I would definitely still go with the original "Black Beauty" plan. To me at least, it just looks neater and meaner, but also, I personally don't like long eye relief scopes. I never could seem to get used to them. As for the strippers, unless you plan to use the weapon for military purposes, they are not especially needful. Convenient, yes, but not really needed. For hunting, if you need more rounds than the magazine holds, you either need new eyeglasses, or whatever you're shooting at is about to have you for lunch anyway, so what does it matter? ;)
  3. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Polish,
    I'm gonna have to go against PS on this one.
    I'm waiting on my C&R license, and I'm pretty sure you posted that you had picked up a few MN's when you had the opportunity. With that being said,
    I'm sure that you have at least one beautiful original resto on hand... SO SCOUT IT!
    Not every MN ever built will ever be brought back to it's original factory spec... AND THAT IS OK.
    It seems everyone has bought or acquired what they thought was a top piece of goods, and been disappointed at the actual performance they received. What if this particular one wasn't so hot??
    They used to say in the car business, NEVER buy a car that rolled off the line on a Monday OR a Friday.... Either the car was built with a hangover, or the inattention that precedes one....

Give yourself something different, add to the collection. Can you ever have too many rifles than can do almost ANYTHING?
    my .02..
    The Daddy
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well......what're you gonna use it for Polish?

Handsome is as handsome does! If you're going actually go hunting with it, which would serve your particular needs better?

If you're just gonna use it for plinking and showing it off to amuse and impress your friends, go with the Scout.

If you're going to use it to actually go hunting, probably the Black Beauty would work better.
  5. polishshooter

GREAT! It's 50-50, you guys are a GREAT help!!! :p :p :p

I slept on it, and think i'm going to go traditional on this one.

I have a couple more barrelled actions in the garage, so my NEXT project just might be a "Scout..." :) :) :)

And since I have a drill press now, it MAY just end up a "Side-mount" Scout, and be one-of-a kind all around!

And then again, I'll only have two small holes in the receiver hood if I decide to turn the Pole into a "Scout" later...

X, you are right, BUT my dilemma is I want to do BOTH. I'm not allowed to use rifles for Deer in Indiana, yet. They talk about allowing them "South of Rt.44" (Where I live and hunt, where it's hilly,) every year, but then "table it" until next year. But I've gotten invitations in the past, and may again in the future, to hunt in PA, and with my new "Region" based in Dallas, and some of my new colleagues hunters, I may get invited to hunt in TX. or another state, where people might not "understand" the tRusty '97 :cool:

But then AGAIN, the "Scout" looks "meaner," and you NEVER know when I might NEED those "strippers..." :cool:

But then again one more time, I think it will be interesting to wring it out to see EXACTLY what kind of accuracy this old Mosin can do, so I'm probably better served for THAT with the traditional overbore scope. Plus I've already spent the $56 for the bent bolt that I wouldn't need with the "Scout," so I might as well USE it... :D
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  6. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had to vote traditional on this. Both are really sweet rigs but the traditional one is beyond just beautiful, it's gorgeous!
  7. My sentiments exactly, Bob. :cool:
  8. polishshooter

I feel very strongly both ways! :cool:

So I'm building BOTH! :)

I'll post pics as I go along. The scout will be finished first, as I have everything to finish it, if I use the stock I bought for the Pole.

The bent bolt for the Pole is on order, but was informed it will be 4-5 weeks to delivery, it's only been two weeks. I still have to buy the mount, I thought I could find one cheap at the last gun show, but the cheapest I found it was $45. So I will get one from SOG for $32.95 when I pick up another stock for the Pole.

By then the Scout will be done, and I'll have it sighted in and tested. I'm looking forward to the comparison tests!
  9. MRMIKE08075

MRMIKE08075 Member

we just did the scout / forward mounted long eye relief conversions of a few rifles at the shop...

2 CARCANO 1938 CARBINE`s
    a SPANISH 1916 CARBINE
    a SPANISH FR8 CARBINE
    a MOSIN 1938

all came out OK...
    all were pretty cheap alternatives...
    all balance well, point nice, and move well...

best regards, mike.