help me decide

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by kenblair1970, Jan 10, 2009.

1. kenblair1970

kenblair1970 New Member

my sister recently decided she wants to get her permit to carry a concealed weapon,do to her job and home protection. since she knows nothing about firearms she left it up to me to get her first handgun.
    i'd like some suggestions to help me decide.
    She is a bar tender she works the second shift gets of at 2;00am, she has small hands,shes pretty strong so she can handle a fair amount of recoil,
    i was thinking maybe a revoler .38cal somthing trustworthy but i'd like her to have a .cal with some good knock down power i think a 357mag is to large for her. any feedback would be great
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

How about one of them gold desert eagles in 44 mag. :D

Seriously, how about a taurus 5 shot 38 (i forget the mdl # ) with the conceled hammer. That way it woin't get caught up on clothing or in the purse, or what ever it may get hung up on.
    Oh heres one, I dont know if its still avaliable but Berreta may still make the 92 I believe with a single stack clip. Good for smaller hands. This may be offered in 40 cal. I'd go with that if you can get it.

Just thought of something else. Smith and wesson makes a whole line of Lady Smiths.
  3. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

The best advice I can give you is that you should pick nothing.

You can help her know the different options and how different weapons operate (pros and cons), but it has to be what works for her, what fits her hand comfortably and what caliber she can handle.
  4. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

I agree with Lurpy. I'm not a tall or strong gal, but I especially like my high power rifles and larger calibers. It is always entertaining for other people to see me fire my rifles, a couple of them are almost as tall as I am. I have smaller hands too, but I like a .357 pistol. The gun absolutely has to be matched to the user.
  5. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

There is a website called "The Cornered Cat" that focuses on self defense for women.

It has several articles on picking the correct firearm / caliber that your sister would be interested in.

It also has several articles for men on helping women choose a firearm and helping them learn to become proficient. Have a look.
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

The first thing I would focus on is getting her some training so she can operate a firearm safely and then when she is trained she can decide what she wants. Many gun ranges will rent by the hour or half hour which can help her decide.
  7. vytoland

vytoland New Member

you & your sister should go to a shooting range that rents guns....let her try out a few............there is no way that anyone else is going to be able to choose a gun for her.........only she will know what she wants AFTER she shoots a few different guns in various sizes, weights, calbers, etc.

good luck and have fun
  8. Tim James

Tim James New Member

i just purchased a taurus millennium pro in the .45 caliber and it is not a very big gun but it has the knock down she would need they also have them in 9mm and in .40 caliber also. They have a 3" barrel 10 in the clip 1 in the chamber very sweet gun
  9. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i also agree with lurpy. and if she decides revolver and cant handle .357mag then maybe try .38 spl +p...