Help me decide

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by wildgunner, Feb 24, 2010.

1. wildgunner

wildgunner New Member

Hello all

I have been shooting and carrying a gun for about 44 years now.

As of late i have been shooting a 10mm and it has created a little dilemma.

Should I stick with the 45 ACP or switch to 10mm for my carry?

Keep in mind I shoot one or the other the same, size and weight makes no difference to me because I have always carried full size weapons.

So what do you think 45 acp or 10mm? (WHY):D
  2. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Cant really tell you why but I have been a fan of the 10 since it came out. Velocity and knock down it's all there.
  3. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    45 is my first choice because I am a dinosaur and I have been shooting it for 40+ years but if anything ever replaced it the 10MM would be it. Just depends which one you shoot best and puts the most giggle in your funny bone.
  4. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Do you reload? That would be the factor for me as I have thousands of .45 cases and no 10mm. I'm with Old Grump.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The 10mm has a real overpenetration problem. Dont get me wrong, its a great round, its, IMO, just to darn hot for a carry gun. That being said, The .45ACP with 230 gr bullets will penetrate just as far, therefore its probably best to stick with a lightweight high velocity load intended expressly for self defense. I cant play the 1911 card on this one since the 10mm is offered in the 1911;)
  6. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I like the 45 and have a few, but the 10mm is an awsome round also. I just got started on the 45 first so never saw a need for a 10mm after that. I guess you could toss a coin.
  7. jdon72

jdon72 New Member

I have had a g20...a 10mm... since the early 90s. It is my first pistol, and I would not trade it. I carry it for mostly hunting.

On your dilemna, the 10mm holds more ammo...you can get heavier rounds for 10mm (200gr) and still have more knock down and ammo. The 45 is excellent as well, but mine has less rounds. Either are top 2 choices.

J
  8. ennis

ennis New Member

.45 Super (Just to be contrary);)
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to the forum Ennis, looks like you're gonna fit right in ! I've got some new 45 Super brass if you need any.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ill see your .45 super and raise you .460 rowland.. Now thats an overpenetrator.. Bout equal to a .44 mag.. :D

Welcome to the madness
  11. Orin

Orin Member

With a small gun the probs with kick are important but anything with some wieght? Not much diff. Reloads, a very valid thought. barrel lengths for speed... Again, a consideration. Slow powders vs. fast. You sound like a carry-for need person, vs. a target shooter. I'd say the carts you name are no diff. Would YOU want to get hit by a 10MM or .45? Think youl'd know the diffs? No... big bullet = mucho damage. Judge by the guns. How they feel & could you do yer thang in the dark, by feel & only moments to get yer act together. A .22 at the right time & placed properly would be better that a 50 cal winging it off in the dark, to pass thru a nearby wall to kill a 5 year old kid.
  12. Martys1

Martys1 New Member

Have you thought about ammo ie availability of 10mm V 45acp and the cost of each, it ,may help in the decision.