Help me decide....

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by polishshooter, Apr 8, 2011.

?

How do I spend my bonus...GOLF or GUNS

1. You LOVE golfing with your wife but you HATE to lose, buy the Callaways, and buy guns LATER.

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Screw it, learn to hit the damm clubs you have now, buy GUNS, D!psh!t!!!

29 vote(s)
    64.4%
  3. Find a decent set of USED clubs for half the price and spend the REST of it on GUNS!

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

OK, I got my bonus check today....

Contrary to popular belief, SOME of us "share" our bounty with our wives, which may be ONE of the reasons we have been married 30 years going on 31...:p

But I have about $1300 to spend, depending if she charges the big bottle of Beam I bought today against my "allotment." :p

(I WOULD have had $2k to spend if I didn't make the deal that I would "pay back" the $700 I spent on the Swift from my bonus....DAMM she remembered...:mad:)

ANYWAY here is my dilemma...

We share everything, and one of the things we both LOVE to do together is golf...

SHE is good enough and I SUCK enough at it that we are pretty damm close to skill levels...:D

In fact LAST year she started bragging that she was BETTER than I was and claiming she won MOST of the time which led to one of our BIGGEST fights in 30 years! (Yeah, she is as competitive as I am, which is why I love her AND why she p!sses me off so much!:p:p)

So this year she is keeping SCORE, and POSTING it on facebook and it seems all our friends and family are following, and I am BEHIND, 4-2-1...

I generally get my bonus every two years, and LAST time she bought a brand new set of Cleveland High Bore irons, which ABSOLUTELY helped her game exponentially.... and I bought my Rock River AR-15...:cool:

I am STILL playing with my 10 year old set of el cheapo Golden Bear irons, even though "strategic" buys of used clubs over the years has gotten me a decent set of wedges and a driver I have finally figured out how to hit straight and a few other clubs I like....

HERE'S my dilemma...

SHE had been bugging me to get a good NEW set of clubs, fitted, that will last me the rest of my life...a good set of Callaways will set me back about $750 fitted....I LOVE golf, and the time we spend together at our club and on vacations on other courses, and I HATE to lose to ANYBODY much less my WIFE... but I could buy a NICE Rock River Varmint Free floated Upper for my AR and STILL have $4-500 left over "walking around money" for the next gun show for "targets of opportunity."

Help me decide!
  2. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

i would split the money
  3. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn New Member

JMHO, buy the clubs like she wants you to. This helps you in two ways:
    1: You will play better
    2: She will not be able to use the "you never listen to me" argument ever again ;)

Now with the rest of the money, marriage advice doesn't come cheap, pm me for my paypal address :D
    j/k good luck with your dilema, wish I had the same problem with money
  4. polishshooter

Beth, you underestimate me, we ALREADY split the money. TRUST me, I have had many guys I work with tell me NOT to, and that they do NOT tell their wife that they are even GETTING a bonus and go through gyrations to intercept the check so they don't have to tell their wife...

I figure THAT is ONE reason why my wife and I have been HAPPILY married for 30 years and many of them are on their second or third go round:p!

We share EVERYTHING.

She gets $2k, and I get $2k (minus the Swift,)

The GOOD thing is she has already decided to spend most of her part on stuff we needed already, like a new dishwasher, and a new Weber grill...

But tomorrow we are going shopping, with the goal of finding her a new driver and fairway wood set....

So in the GOLF department she just might GAIN on me....

MY hope is Golfsmith has a slightly used Callaway Left hand set that works for me, if I regrip them all, it might set me back $400 and STILL let me buy my Varmint upper...
  5. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Since you're asking on the FIREARMS Forum, I think you're probably going to get a lot more gun answers than golf answers.

However, you already have that Swift for varmints. I think you'll really like that AR upper as long as you don't try to compare it to your Swift... which means you'll likely be disappointed in the upper.
    I understand what you mean about never wanting to lose. You can't find any dice in my house anymore because my wife pretty consistently USED to beat me at Yahtzee. Not anymore. :p

Unless you can find a used set that fits you perfectly, I think you'd be best served by swallowing that big price tag and just buying those clubs.

But definitely save the rest of that bonus for those "opportunities." :D
  6. polishshooter

Josh,

My wife just came in to kiss me goodnight and I showed her the post and your reply. And told her that was the guy I told you about that lives near Rushville.

Her response was we have to meet him and his wife, and we'll bring OUR Yahtzee game....

Yeah, I hear you, when I play her many times she is on her triple Yahtzee when I'm trying just to BUILD a small straight....:cool:

But dammit, NEVER give up!:p
  7. polishshooter

Then again, my varmint/bench rest "rifle snob" and "scope snob" buddies I shoot p-dogs with were pretty accepting of my Rock River "tactical" AR last year in South Dakota and I had a few decent kills with it, from 100-175 yds, even though it is only a 16" it is a heavy barrel and I WAS shooting only Black Hills factory ammo in it with a mid-price range Bushnell 3-9x variable....

Today even my biggest rifle snob upper class English Citizen buddy allowed that the AR wasn't all that bad at all last year and if I worked up some loads for it it might surprise us even more....

HMmmmm....

Maybe I CAN buy the new Callaways and have money enough to hit all the shops in all my travels....and I kinda DID like that nice Savage 311 12 ga in that shop where I bought my powder trickler in Fortville for $325....I wonder if he would take $275 CASH.....;):D:D:D
  8. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

PS, I would get the Callaway's that Golfsmith has and the AR upper. This way you get the best of both worlds. If making that choice still has you a little concerned, then get the new clubs and make that girl of yours happy. In the end, you will be happy too! With a wife like yours I don't see how you can lose.
  9. polishshooter

Thanks, Leader!

It is funny, but many guys that golf HATE to play with their wife...

I actually prefer to play with HER than any of the GUYS I play with....

We compete hot and heavy, but LOVE to see the OTHER hit a good shot, and both of us kind of sheepishly HATE to acknowledge that we BEAT the other when we add up the scores at the end of 18 holes....

We always seem happiest when we both play well and end up TIED at the end of 18...

Until one or the other suggests going around AGAIN to break the tie....:p

I think we BOTH pray for darkness to end it...although from now until about June 21st it only gets WORSE praying for darkness....:p
  10. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

Polish do you have your mind set on Callaways, and have you done a club fitting to see want type of shafts are best suited to your needs.
  11. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, because my knee-jerk reaction to, "Should I do this or get a gun" is always "get a gun", but buy the clubs. It's obvious, from your post, that you really want them.

What are your choices? Custom clubs or an "off the shelf" gun. You can get the gun any time, anywhere. You might find it used, for less than you plan to pay now. You will never find a set of clubs that fit you just lying around. They might come close, but they won't be "right". So, now, while you've got the money, get the clubs.
  12. Juker

Juker New Member

Does your wife like to shoot, and does she ever go shootin' with you?
  13. kentuckyrifleman

kentuckyrifleman Member

Buy a gun that you want, then tell her it is for her. Then, use it.

Ok, so you advice that does not include a divorce lawyer?

Polish, can you set a little bit asside for some preparedness supplies? We don't have much extra at the end of the week, but I try to buy one or two things, even if it is just a few cans of food, some rice, even lantern wicks. Gander mountain has a pretty good sale on .22 ammo right now.
  14. armabill

armabill Member

What I do is take half of the money and put it into the bank.

Then, I split the other half of the money between me and my wife.
    We spend it whichever way that we choose.
  15. polishshooter

Well, that is essentially what we did, we put a chunk of it in the bank and then both split the rest.

The GOOD news is somehow I ended up with a little more in my pocket than I was counting on, I THINK she accounted for my "pay back" for the Swift in what we put in the bank. Now I may be POLISH but I'm not DUMB enough to ask her for an accounting and maybe remind her of it....;)

Well, today we went shopping, and I ended up hitting a ton of new clubs, for $7-800, but Golfsmith had one more Left Hand set of Callaway Diablos left over from last year on sale for $499...and I was hitting them WELL. These were the same ones I was drooling over last year...

The BAD news is they are no longer available from the factory, so they couldn't order me a set custom made to my specifications which is what usually happens. The GOOD news is the salesman agreed to lengthen them and regrip them TODAY if we didn't mind waiting a hour or so:D

It was raining like heck this morning an early afternoon, so I think every golfer in Indianapolis was in the store!:eek: They were busy, I was surprised they did that for me same day.

SO I now have my new clubs. Tomorrow it's supposed to hit 80 degrees and sunny so instead of pulling the plow of my tractor and getting the mower ready like I planned, we just might play 18 or 36 after church!:p

The OTHER bad news is while we were waiting, my WIFE was in another slot hitting new drivers, and SHE ended up buying a brand new $300 Callaway driver she was really poking well, and a matching 3 wood, and spent as much as I did....so the brat may STILL beat me...:eek:

My 10 year old driver I bought USED a couple of years ago I am finally hitting straight, so I will stay with it, but my 3 wood is a used $9.99 Winter Golf show special I bought on a whim I regripped so I have about $15 in it:p....and am still learning to hit...

But I have more money left over even after buying a new bag than I was expecting, so the next purchase WILL be more Swift cases, a couple of pounds of powder, a pound of BP and miscellaneous ammo, but I will be hitting gun shops when I am on the road looking for stuff I might run into that I just have to have...

How much do you think I might find say a used Lever gun in .45LC for?
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011