help me find a lost gamba

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by xenofondas1, Dec 31, 2010.

1. xenofondas1

xenofondas1 New Member

The story so you understand is as follows:

The weapon was bought by my grandfather in 1961-62. two guns were bought on the same day one by my grandfather and the other by a friend. Both resided in the same village in Cyprus. We are still family friends and relatives and they still have theirs.

Now, in 1974 a war broke out on the island involving the turks. A coup took place prior and the then Cypriot government was short on weapons to carry out a war with turkey. So the government called for all weapons to be handed into the police in order to aid with the war effort.

The friend I mentioned prior never handed his gun in simply because these guns were very expensive. They were bought for 330 Cyprus pounds when all other shot guns were between 25 – 40,so you can imagine. Sadly granddad was away; employed as a worker on transatlantic sea liners and even more sadly grandma handed it in.

All this took place at a police station that no longer exists; I mean to say that it is now in the occupied areas. The gun was never returned even though the war lasted two weeks. When grandma returned to pick the gun up she was told it was lost on numerous occasions. The story was forgotten and the years past. Witnesses would occasionally mention they had seen it but nothing was ever done about it.

I can go to the police and hopefully find it. The person who has it according to witnesses is an ex police officer from the region it was handed in. you can make your own assumptions and you probably will come to the same conclusion as I did. He stole it. He probably has all the papers to make it legal and since we in the family have lost our records I cannot touch him.

But if I find the manufacturers records using reg numbers of our friends gun then I can trace the shotguns trip to Cyprus. The company that sold them here is closed…but someone must have some record of these two guns. They must have arrived on the island together and the were sold here together – that I guarantee.

Then I can go to court with the info. It will be obvious that I am not lying and the story is too intricate to have been made up. But I need the manufacturer.

This is where I need to bump into an expert. Hopefully one of you guys. Please throw all your knowledge ideas and suggestions at me and hopefully I can post a picture of it on here…it’s a beauty.

Thanks to you all and have a happy new year!
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The gun was apparently manufactured by Renato Gamba, an Italian maker of very fine shotguns. You can contact them by going to their website at: http://www.renatogamba.it/

Good luck
  3. xenofondas1

xenofondas1 New Member

tried that.. they said it was by the Filli Gamba factory. does anyone know anything about it.
  4. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

I'm a bit out of my league on this but a google search on ''filli gamba'' told me that there is a lot of information out there... but filli gamba - which means Gamba Brothers - was the predecessor firm to Renato Gamba. One of the brothers left to form his own company and apparently ended up buying the tooling from the original co. Hope this will help a little.

BullShoot