help me identify and value this rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by blowfish, Aug 18, 2012.

1. blowfish

blowfish New Member

Hello there, I took as many good pics as I could, there's . a broken stalk. Please help me identify and value this wonderful looking gun.

Heres link to the album with all the pics.

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/album.php?albumid=597

Feel free to make offers if your interested
  2. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

It's the remains of a fair quality American percussion rifle of ca 1840-60 period. Close exam on the lock plate or the barrel might find a name making more info possible. The horrendous break in the stock reduces its appeal except maybe a person looking for a restoration project or to wreck it for its parts. A gun in its condition without the stock break (sound but with many small defects) would be worth $250-400. As it is $100.

Breakage thru the breech area was the common fate of many old guns. Its construction with much wood removed to accommodate the lock mechanism, much of the stock strength was lost. With modern modern materials such as epoxy and fiber glass a restoration repair is possible but its cost would outweigh it value many times. That said, to me as a DIY restorer project this gun does have appeal as a challenge.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. blowfish

blowfish New Member

Im enthralled. I bought it to sell, but considering its value I may keep it, its nice to look at, and an interesting piece of history. Id like to know more about it
  4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Ummm, unless it was made by a well known maker about the most it will be worth is 400 and it will cost most of that to fix it. Unless you just wanna get some epoxy and Bubba it back together.