Help me identify bird/animal sound

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RunningOnMT, Jul 27, 2011.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

There is, what I had thought, was some kind of bird sound, that has become quite familiar to me over the years. The thing is I don't know what it is. I went to a web site that has recordings of birds singing that you can listen to. I went through a dozen or so samples from a long list of north American birds. Nothing even close. They all were more the typical chirping or tweeting, just in different patterns.

This sound is more like the hollow sounding whistle you get when you cup your hands together and blow into them. The sound is always the same...four notes, very rythmic, The first note a little longer followed by a second. Then a slight hesitation followed by two more close together.

I know this is a pretty trivial question, but I've wondered for a long time what bird or animal is making this sound. If anyone has an idea what I'm talking about based on my description, please help.
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Doves? Different species of doves have different patterns of notes, but their voices have that "ocarina" sound.
  4. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Have you all ever spooked a young porky in the woods, especially at night. They'll let out a super ear shattering screech that you can get miles out of if you have some friends with ya that never heard one before. The Indians just luv eating porkies and everytime I see one walking the road, I shoot it and give it to them. I've tried making the big ones shriek, poking them with stick and they won't, just the young ones.

Quite the harr, when you tell them it's a bigfoot. I was actually surprised that so many of our local Indians had never heard one shriek before, they are half superstitious about everything anyway, believe in monsters in the woods, and such, ha.

Anybody else on here ever heard one? When I was a kid, I was sleeping in an old canvass tent and awoke to the screams right nx to my head. I ran out tent and there was a small porky chewing on tent ropes. I chased him off and he kept coming back. Everytime I'd poke at him from inside the tent (I could feel his quills from inside tent) that porky would start shrieking, woke everybody up and they all said let him be, ha.
  7. mrjerry

mrjerry New Member

I'll betcha its the mocking bird, they are the greatest imatators in the east. I use to see them and hear them when I hunted with my Beagle, molly god I miss her.