Help me identify this Browning handgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Rickrock, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Rickrock

Rickrock New Member

Greetings everyone,
    I am looking over the side arm my father had during WWII and I'm trying to figure out its worth, history and such.
    There are no English or American inscriptions on the handgun, yet it is built on the Browning 1911 type frame and does have the Browning named stamped once on the side frame. It is a 9mm.

Inscriptions are this:
    Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre
    Herstal Beloique
    Browning's Patent Depose

These numbers are noted on the side frame:
    WOA 140 - I know the first is a W, O and the A are guess and 140 is correct

These numbers are on ever moving part of the gun:
    860 45a

Here is the odd part, off to the right lower corner of the numbers WOA 140, is what looks like an eagle with his wings spread open, his head is looking off to the left and it is standing on a round ball. But inside the ball, "looks" like a German swatztica?

Any ideas or suggestions would be great,
    Rick
  2. BillM

BillM Active Member

9mm? Most likely a nazi marked Browning Hi-Power. Pictures would be helpful.

Welcome to the forum.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Does it look like this? If so, then Bill hit the nail on the head. Welcome to TFF too![​IMG]
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The marking is the German eagle over WaA 140. 140 is the number assigned to the German WaffenAmt (WaA) officer responsible for inspection and acceptance of FN made guns for the occupying Geman army. According to Vanderlinden's book, he occupied that position from late 1941 to the liberation of Belgium. His actual name is unknown.

Jim
  5. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

I can unequivocally tell you that this piece is in very good condition overall. You can expect a value of well over $1,000 on the open market. I wouldn't expect to see it go for more about $2,500 though. You could realize up to around $3,500-$4,000 at an auction depending on the buyers.
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Hi, WHSmithIV,

What piece? The one shown in WW's picture is not the one the OP is asking about. We have not seen a pic of Rickrock's pistol, or even his confirmation that it is a high power.

Jim
  7. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Thanks Jim,

I noticed the pic believing it to be the pistol described. So, I am in error here. Otherwise the the values I've stated for the described pistol would be consistent with the quality of the pistol in the picture from the auction prices I have seen achieved.

Thank you for pointing out my error. I hope he posts some photos of the pistol he's asked about.

Will
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012