help me identify this pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by KennethTheriot, Dec 30, 2010.

1. KennethTheriot

KennethTheriot New Member

On barrel: GH Revolver Pat 4 May 1881. On bottom of grip: Spain. We were given this gun while helping clean out an old house, and aren't sure how to go about getting info on it. Any help appreciated.
  2. Esteban

Esteban New Member

GH= Guisasola Hermanos

Probably a close copy of a Smith & Wesson, or a Colt. Get it checked out by a gunsmith before trying to shoot it & verify the caliber. DON'T shoot any high power loads in it.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I will extend that warning; I strongly recommend against firing that revolver with any ammunition of any kind. Spanish revolvers of that type were imported into the US by the ton in the 1920's and 1930's. While some were reasonably well made, many were made of cheap cast iron of the type used to make cookpots (hence, "pot metal"). Many have blown up in firing normal ammunition. At least the makers of that one thought enough of the product to at least put their initials (but not their name) on it; most have no maker's name at all.

IMHO, the gun is worth what you paid for it; I suggest you retire it to wall hanger status.

Jim