1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Help me out

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Wolf 5.7, Oct 31, 2011.

?

Which one should I go with?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2011.
  1. S&W M&P 22

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Other .22

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. .327 Mag or Governor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 45/70 Guide gun

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. Wolf 5.7

Wolf 5.7 New Member

o/ All,

I didn't know where to post this question, so I thought I would start here (Mods just tell me where you move the thread.)

I have scrounged up a little bit extra and decided to by a new Firearm. Now comes the hard part. Which one to get? I have roughly 600 Dollars to spend.

1. M&P 22 pistol. Every S&W firearm I have bought I have loved, and the ergonomics is Similar to my sd9.
    2. Another .22 Cal Pistol. I've handled some 700 dollar Kimber .22 and a mosquito. Hated them both. Walther any good? I've read they are total junk.
    3. Or Go a different Direction entirely and go for a S&W Governor or a .327 Mag.
    4. Last Choice, a 45/70 govt guide gun by Marlin.
    I'm interested in a .22 Cal pistol for the economics of it. You can't beat .22LR For the price.
    I would be interested in the Governor or .327 mag for SD. Plus I have a load of .45ACP.

As for the Guide gun, I just like them. .45/70 is a beast of a bullet, and I would like to have a reliable hunting weapon.

Your thoughts and advice is much appreciated.:D:cool:
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

ok question back what dont you have , or what do you have

if you have shot guns and CF rifle , time for a .22

but looks like you got 22, do you have big CF rifle then the .45/70 looks good

i bought a EAA Witness ( tangfolio ) in .40 ( all i can have legal here ) with the .22 kit ( shoots .22 and .40 S&W why not look at the .45 /.22 version ..

the .22 kit i can shoot 2" with all day!!
  3. CHW2021

CHW2021 Active Member

First, decide what you want to spend your money on.
    Second, decide what you want to buy ammo for.
    Third, if you want a .22 pistol, look at the Ruger mark 2 or the Browning Buckmark.

Having said that, there are many fine .22 pistols about, look at the local paper or pawnshops if you are familiar enough to be comfortable doing so. I have the opinion that the .22 is the all around best training tool for marksmanship; the low price of ammo is just a bonus. If you do not have one, you definitely need one.
  4. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I agree with the Ruger markII !! Fast shooter and fun! I have one and for the money that they are you can still buy a butt load of ammo. I bought mine new and it took CCI Stingers to break in the slide spring before it would run any rem. or win. ammo.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I'm a bit confused about what you have right now, and what you don't have. But it seems that you already have a .22 pistol. You stated that you have a load of .45's, so I have to assume that you have a pistol to shoot them in. So I voted for the 45/70.
  6. herohog

herohog New Member

Get a Ruger 22/45 and add the VQ kit and be happy! Here is mine and what I put in it and the cost for it all. It is a KILLER gun now that I wouldn't trade for the world! NOTE: Be sure to get the Replaceable Grip Panel model!

22/45 MK-III Target Model

Volquartsen:
    Exact Edge Extractor,
    SureStrike Firing Pin,
    Target hammer,
    Target sear,
    Target trigger w/ over-travel screw, return trigger plunger spring and polished plunger,
    V-Comp Compensator,
    Titanium Disconnecter.

Mag disconnect removed using Sam's hammer bushing and I installed bpatza @ rimfirecentral.com's Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) Cover.

Grips and Mag Bumpers by TechTeach @ rimfirecentral.com Dominic.Notaro@csinet.net

Hammer bushing from Sam Lam @ rimfirecentral.com sg552.2@gmail.com

Cocking Handle by Brian Alcaraz, bjtraz@swbell.net @ rimfirecentral.com

I Throated her and polished the feed ramp too.

The trigger is MUCH lighter and breaks nice and clean with NO creep and no over-travel. Once I adjusted the take-up as far as I could and still get reliable reset I am left with about 1/32" take-up before you feel resistance then she breaks like glass at maybe a pounds pressure! I doubt I will be making any changes to the setup from this point on other than a special set of grips I have coming!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a total of only $258.43 in her not counting the original cost of the gun and Red Dot which was $350 so the total investment is $608.43 and well worth every penny to me!

Volquartsen:
    VC2DN MKII/MKIII TITANIUM DISCONNECTOR, 7.50
    S&H SHIPPING & HANDLING, 9.95
    Product: Volquartsen Accurizing Kit MK III - Silver
    Product Code: VC3AK-S
    Price: $92.50
    Product: Volquartsen Bolt Tune-Up Kit Ruger MKI, MKII, MKIII
    Product Code: VC3FE
    Price: $27.95

orders@bullseyegear.com:
    1505GH, Ruger Stainless Steel V-Comp Muzzle Break, $49.99
    Shipping cost, $5.99

bjtraz's Slide Racker, brian@alcaraz.org bjtraz @ RFC 22/45 $33.00 shipped.

Grips and Mag Bumpers by TechTeach @ rimfirecentral.com Dominic.Notaro@csinet.net

Sam's (sg552-2) Hammer Bushing: $10US Shipped. send cash, or an international money order.
    Sam [sg552.2@gmail.com]

LCI Cover from bpatza at RFC:
    Shipment once per wk. Preferred payment money order, others excepted, no problem so far.
    Send payment with request to Bruce patza, N863 lawn Rd, Seymour WI. 54165.
    Regular stainless steel, $18.00 with tracking $19.00
    Beadblasted stainless, $19.00 " " $20.00
    Hot Blued carbon steel, $21.00 " " $22.00
    Shipping to the lower 48 encluded
    Set screw, allen wrench, 220 gr. alum.oxide for minor fitting, instruction info. encluded.
    please add your contact information so I can contact you if there is a problem or question with your order
    Just a note, bead blasted is NOT a factory finish on ruger MKs. It is an aftermarket finish.
    Matte blued for the new ruger barrel is ready to go for$22 or $23 with tracking
  7. Wolf 5.7

Wolf 5.7 New Member

To Clarify things a Bit. I have a .22 rifle (M&P-15-22)

Carver I do have a 45 ACP. I apologize if my post was confusing, I should never not sleep and post.

Gun Nut and CHW, Are those pistols good? I hate the looks of them, which lead me to want something that looks like a Semi-Auto, instead of a 1950's ray gun.

Jack, How much will a EAA Witness cost? Is there a 10mm kit that converts to 22 if I go with one?
  8. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'd go with the Marlin Guide in a heartbeat. I have the full size but would really like to have a Guide 45/70.
  9. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Based on what you have said, go for the Guide Gun, it will be a wonderful addition to your collection.