Help me pick a 1911!

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by nafornow, Aug 20, 2010.

1. nafornow

nafornow New Member

Im wanting to buy a pair of 1911's, customize them a little (for looks), ....and give one to my dad for christmas. I ThINK Ive got it narrowed down to three models. Price IS an issue, especially since Im buying two.

Ive read good reviews, on all three. My price range is $550-650. Theres just a lot of them out there to choose from. I would prefer a stainless gun, ..though the last isnt stainless. Any comments/criticism/suggestions are welcome.

The first is a Taurus pt1911ss1. Can be had for $647.

[​IMG]

Second is the Para Ordnance GI45S. $565

[​IMG]

The last is the Magnum Research DE1911G. $635

[​IMG]
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

All three are decent choices. Para's are good but they have these little differences about them that make customizing a little more tricky. Para has their own specs. Magnum Research though a good gun company isn't known for their 1911's. I've only seen a few and my guess is that they too like para have there own slight differences that can make the drop in parts no so drop in. I could be wrong though on the MR's . So that leaves the Taurus. Some people love taurus some hate them. It depends on the model. I have yet to see a bad Taurus 1911.
    What kind of customizing are you looking at doing? Many parts on the 1911 are gunsmith fit parts.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I love the taurus PT1911. I bought one back when they first came out and slowly upgraded it with match components til it shoots one holers. They are good right outta the box tho!
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    If stainless steel isn't a mandatory issue, I would look at the Rock Island Armory (made by Armscorp in the Phillipines) or Shooter's Arms Manufacturing (S.A.M. is also made in the Phillipines). Both are GI-spec, come in assorted dressings and the prices are such that it won't hinder you when customizing.

I have a S.A.M. Elite .45 and I love it! Me and another guy put our pistols, then new and unfired, in a 3-day torture test where we fired over 300 rounds in various shooting techniques, all without cleaning. His was a Para P-14. My only stoppage was a misfeed due to a cracked feed lip on a magazine. His missfed twice (gun error) and stovepiped once.
  5. Infidel

Infidel New Member

Boomer, gonna have to with you here as it is about what I would have said plus;

Taurus' are a POS. Lots of MIM parts and thier customer service is atrocious. I bought a new 1911 with a rail and the hammer was defective(fell upon the slide moving forward) 6 to 8 weeks and shipping hassles. Screw em. I owned a judge and three millenium pros--24/7s, sold them all, no more taurus for me(though I did love the 24/7s and mil pro, super good guns) I can't abide by bad customer service. Ironically, I returned the Taurus 1911 to my dealer and he credited me the full price against another gun..A new series 70, SS Colt 1911. Believe it or not, same prob right out of the box. I called Colt. Told them exactly what I told Taurus(I was a former Army weapons SGT, knew how to diagnose and fix problem) and I had a bad hammer. Colt said no problem, you will have a new hammer in two days, sorry for the problem, let us know if we may help in any other way!! That is solid!!

And Further, I would recommend a Sprinfield Armory GI model. Super good out of the box ready for customizing and affordable!
  6. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I'd probably choose the Para. Looks nice and it isn't too expensive compared to the other two.

Taurus uses a lot of MIM parts. The one I rented at the range had grips on it that chapped my hands.

Don't know much about the Magnum Research.

If you plan to customize them a lot, look at a stainless Springfield GI also.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Of the three shown I prefer the MR. I just dont like Taurus even though I have read on here that many people love them, til they break. The MR has better sights, a nice beavertail which I like, the grip safety has the speed bump, front slide serrations. I cant tell if the MR has front strap checkering but the GI doesnt. I like checkering.
    I do like the Taurus in that is ambi safety. As a lefty, that is a must. If the Taurus said Springfield on the side I would get it in a heartbeat.
    Hogger, if you want chapped hands try out a nice TRP with G-10 grips. A couple of boxes of rounds and you will have a roast beef grip!
  8. nafornow

nafornow New Member

I really like that the Taurus comes with the rail, for the price, ...and I also like the checkered front strap, the slide serations, ...and the fact that its stainless. Honestly, ...the only thing I DONT like about the Taurus, ..is that it says Taurus down the side. ALOT of gun enthusiests say that its a well made gun, ...so really, thats all that should matter.

As far as customizing, ...Im no gunsmith, by far. I just want to take it apart, and polish the frame, slide, and trigger, ...add some custom grips, maybe a compensator, ...and maybe add a laser site to the rail.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Colt...Kimber...or Sig.... and never anything less than $1000 in price unless its a Colt. Period.

mike
    gn
  10. nafornow

nafornow New Member

Can you explain why? Or, you just like those names?
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I do agree on the CS of Taurus but the hammer following the slide on a empty gun is sometimes normal. Depends on the trigger weights and recoil spring. This can happen with any 1911, yes Mike even colts:D
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

More taurus 1911s for me!!!! I dont care about their CS, I probably voided the warranty the first week I had mine anyway;) Afterall, thats why i went to school to learn how to smith guns:)
  13. williepete

williepete New Member

Infidel is being too polite. I would have used more colorful adjectives and more of them.

Got SiG? My XO came with a rail if that's important to you.

Kimber would be my next choice for quality/price ratio.

If price is a factor because you're buying two, buy one, save up, then buy the other. You should never skimp on quality Brother.

Good hunting. Let us know what you settle on.
  14. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

I have the Para and the only problem to watch for are weak hammer(cast)the good part is their cover for life.
  15. cycloneman

cycloneman Active Member

One thing that i think needs to be discussed here is the barrels for the different guns. I have a buddie with a springfield 45. It gives him problems with certain types of ammo. He got disgusted and then bought a Kimber. No feed problems. I too purchased a Kimber in 10mm. The ramp on the bbl is made in a way to make it easier for ammo to feed. IMO. That is also what the salesperson told me. I looked at the bbls for various manufacturers and decided to go with the Kimber after I saw the different ramps for myself. I hope I am using the right terms. I agree with Glocknut's statement.

I can't speak for the Taurus, it was not one I was looking at.

I do believe in the Kimbers.

I have a target mdl in stainless. If by chance you decide to get a Kimber in stainless i will warn you that Kimber stainless is not the same as some other manufactures of stainless pistols. Kimbers need TLC even in stainless. You dont want to get in pouring rain and think it will not rust. It probably will if you dont give it attention. I took mine out hunting and got some surface rust in humid conditions. I had never worried about my Smith pistols in the water cause I never had problems. Not the case with Kimber. However I would not hessitate to purchase another Kimber. They are tight well made pistols that will preform on demand. Just give them the TLC they deserve.

Hopefully some others will chime in on the ramp issue. I am interested to hear other points of view.

I think I am going to add one more thing. You never know when a pistol you have will be needed to save your life. As far as price goes dont you think your life deserves the very best. Something to think about.
  16. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I hate to appear completely ignorant, but what is MIM parts?

I have a Taurus 1911 and 2 RIA 1911s, and a Citadel 1911 and I have owned a Kimber. The Taurus would out shoot the Kimber any day. There is absolutely nothing wring with Taurus weapons. If you don't like them, then don't buy them, as JLA said, more for me.
  17. navis128

navis128 New Member

I own a Kimber and there are two things I don't like about it. You have to have a little tool to take it down and that last round always comes back and ends up down my shirt and hot brass burns! ;)

Other than that, it's awfully easy to hit where I aim.

My next will be a Colt.
  18. diceman3

diceman3 New Member

Hi, from the ones mentions I've loved the Taurus 1911 38 super. I've got a Colt 70 series Combat Commander and the Taurus is a solid piece of firepower.

Diceman3
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

MIM=Metal Injection Molded, there isnt anything wrong with MIM parts IMO, most of them are just as good as a milled (or forged) parts. They are all smelted and cleansed of impurities and molded at extreme temps at a high pressure to ensure a solid part, then immediately heat treated to a specific RC hardness. All the hype you hear about MIM being inferior probably roots from some high end forged parts mfgr pissed off because some no name company is producing a part of similar quality at half the price.
  20. Infidel

Infidel New Member

http://www.dshtech.com/MIMquality.pdf

Fact is, and this is fact, Forged metal is what you need for some parts of the gun. MIM is about equal in strength to cast material, but is more consistent and cheaper to produce than cast parts, therefore, MIM vs Cast should be the argument if there is one to be had.

It is more a preference and aestetics thing. MIM is just metal color, case hardened parts have color to them that are pleasing to some in the appearance of the firearm.

MIM can break just like a cast piece. Forged is stronger, but could end up more brittle if that process was not done perfectly.

You can take it or leave it. MIM has been used for over twenty years and on lots of guns. Many you don't even realize have them. Quality issues are about the same as cast metal. Some manufacturers have had problems on some guns with MIM parts, but just like they have had with cast. If a part breaks, and they most all will sometime, put back what you want, and see for yourself.

I'm just an old schooler that likes old stuff, we are still free enough to have the choice for now, so I enjoy it.